REFLECTOR: Stick play (no, not that kind)

Lynn Gallup LGallup at mn.rr.com
Fri Aug 6 08:42:07 CDT 2004

I bought the new stick from the factory but before installing it I tried something different which was easier to do than replacing the stick. What I did works great so I have never installed the new stick. It's a little hard to describe but I'll try:

I got a piece of iron water pipe with an ID which is very close to the OD of the torque tube and the stick. I cut two one-inch lengths from it.
I cut the two pieces lengthwise with a hacksaw and filed the edges smooth. I drilled holes through each of the four pieces so they could become "encapsulating washers" (I invented that term.) to be placed on each side of the torque tube and the control stick. I filed large flat spots where the two  pipe pieces between the stick and the torque tube touched each other (for a bearing surface). I Slipped these into place and using a longer pivot bolt clamped the whole thing together quite tight. (The "washers" prevent the tubes from collapsing.)
A little high pressure lithium grease at the pivot point made the whole work smooth as silk and without any looseness. I've got about a hundred hours on it and so far it is working perfectly.
Lynn