REFLECTOR: Nose gear Hydraulic Regulator

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Aug 5 11:56:14 CDT 2004

I had originally introduced the idea of locating the sequence valve to
actuate on the web of the strut, thinking that, in addition to simpler
plumbing and access, it would solve the slamming by opening the sequence
valve more slowly.  Although it definitely helped, I found that at certain
adjustments, and in certain cases the doors slammed anyway; especially when
I adjusted the sequence valve to only open a small amount in an attempt to
have it also function as a "throttling" valve.  It depended upon whether the
main gear was fully up before the doors closed.  If so, they would slam
because of the high pressure spike at the end of the travel.

The solution was to extend the adjusting screw in the sequence valve so it
would open further, and stay open through the nose gear "bounce" at the end
of its travel, allowing the doors to fully close after the nose gear
retracted and the main gear were still in travel.  The nose gear normally
retracts first, but not always.  Even if the mains go up first, the nose
gear will come off over-center when the mains hit the top; and the mains
will drop back a bit as the nose gear comes up, so the solution still
applies.

I don't know if this applies in your case, because depending on your
sequence vale location, you probably can't get the doors to close all the
way before the mains are fully retracted; but you might try changing the
sequence valve adjustment.  Of course if valve stem is hitting bottom,
extending the screw further may damage the valve.

Al