REFLECTOR: Aileron self-centering

Lynn Gallup LGallup at mn.rr.com
Mon Aug 2 17:17:19 CDT 2004

Velo-people,
A while back I started a thread called "aileron stiffness". This really
related more to the degree of aileron self-centering following a turn than
to stiffness per se.  On my airplane I thought the ailerons displayed almost
no self-centering in flight and I attributed this to stiffness or friction
in the system.

I noticed that on the ground the aileron control seemed fairly smooth and
easy compared to in-flight so I decided to reject the "stiffness and
friction" hypothesis and look elsewhere. I postulated that there might be
some kind of "slack" or "wrap-up" in the system due, possibly, to bending of
the aileron torque tubes because they are not attached at the center of
pivot of the ailerons. As an experiment, I adjusted the ailerons so they had
a half-inch of droop when centered. I felt this would torque-load the system
in flight and I should feel at least something different. I have now flown
the airplane about ten hours this way and pretty much put it through it's
paces. My feeling is that the change definitely helped but not enough.

I believe the aileron droop idea is really a second-order fix, good enough
for an experiment but not the primary factor so I really don't want to
increase the droop;  I might break something - Like my head. So I am now
thinking about two things (1) replacing the aluminum aileron torque tubes
with steel and/or (2) installing universal joints where the tubes attach to
the ailerons.

Have any of you had any experience with either of these ideas?

Regards,
Lynn