Winglet Flutter was : Re: REFLECTOR: 1st flight N2084D

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Aug 1 16:45:25 CDT 2004

I've had winglet flutter and lived to walk away. Later we actually induced
it on purpose, (very controlled flight) to verify it really was winglet
flutter.

Mine would only occur at 180+ knots indicated.  It was completely my fault.
While trying to get the ball in the center I had "unshimmed" the trailing
edge of the right rudder so it was about 1/8 of an inch inboard of the
trailing edge of the winglet.  Ball was dead on center and I flew for a
month before getting the indicated speed up high enough to get it to flutter.

With bonehead type induced flutter(mine)  pressing your foot on the rudder
stops it immediately, slowing down below 180 KIAS would also stop it.  With
the rudder shimmed to be even with the winglet on the trailing edge I dove
to 215 KIAS with no flutter.  Sure get a hell of a lot of air noise at 215
KIAS!

Its a scary thing to look out the window and see the wing bending up and
down that much and that fast!!!!

Scott