REFLECTOR:Flying Level or not

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:53:18 -0600

This is an odd desription?

Do you mean when the ball is centered you have one wing low?  If this is
what you mean you have a "heavy wing" and need to shim one or both
wings.   You can tell you have a heavy wing if you have any roll trim
applied, your ailerons are not centered, with two people up front in
straight flight.

To bring a wing up, add a shim to the top bolts on that wing, that
increases the angle of incidence on that wing and it will create more lift.
To bring a wing down add a shim to the bottom bolts.

Once you have an ailerons rigged correctly you will probably have to shim
one of the rudders out to center the ball.  DO NOT SHIM A RUDDER INWARD!!!
This will cause flutter, I've done this stupid mistake and it wasn't fun!

Scott

At 04:54 PM 4/27/2004, you wrote:
>Dear fellows,
>My plane has been flying for about 160 hrs without significant problems
>but my left wing is lower than the right in level straight flight with the
>ball centered.  This causes my right wing fuel to empty about twelve
>gallons first the fuel flow equalizes.  Fuel and vent lines are fine and
>flow well.  Fuel caps are tight and greased with metal and o-ring seals.
>If I use left rudder the sing will lift and the ball moves about 1/4th
>ball to the right and fuel flow will equalize.  This occurs with the front
>edge of the rudder about 1/8th inch back.  I placed a fragment of a tongue
>depressor in the groove and flew with the wings level and ball to the
>right 1/4th and lost about 3 to 4 knots in cruise.
>The unequal flow also causes my low fuel warning light to start flickering
>after the first 15 gallons have drained from the right tank.
>My goal is to get the plane to fly straight and wings level with equal
>feed from both tanks.  I used an electronic level in the plane and it
>flies about 1.5 degrees left wing low.
>I am curious is placing a shim to move the wing back inside the cowl would
>angle the winglet on the left wing forward enough to increase it’s inward
>lift and do the same thing than rudder does?  I can shim the rudder but
>then the rudder will never be in trail – looks bad and seems less
>aerodynamic.  Brendan is concerned about flutter but if the winglet is
>moved forward that should place more return pressure on the rudder not less.
>Ideas and choices and EXPERIENCE would be appreciated.
>
>Rene’ Dugas
>XL RG
>N129RD

"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin