REFLECTOR:Buss material

David Scharfenberg reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:57:41 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3165821861_84005_MIME_Part

on 4/25/04 10:23 AM, Al Gietzen at ALVentures@cox.net wrote:

Aluminum is at least a good conductor; resistance about 1.6 times that of
copper. =A0Brass, on the other hand, has resistance about 4 times that of
copper.=A0 The 1/8=B2 x =BD=B2 copper I had I got from Aeroelectric; I was surprise=
to find that he is now selling .025 thick brass instead.=A0 In a =BD=B2 width,
that=B9s equivalent to about a #15 wire.=A0 Seems pretty marginal for a buss
with half dozen or more circuits running off.=A0

I had the same concern about the thickness of my bus bar.  Bob Nuckols told
me that, in a DC circuit, it's the surface area, not the cross section, of
the conductor that determines the current carrying capacity.  I can't
remember the thickness of mine but it seemed thin at the time.

Dave Scharfenberg

--MS_Mac_OE_3165821861_84005_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:Buss material</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 4/25/04 10:23 AM, Al Gietzen at ALVentures@cox.net wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">Aluminum is at least a good conductor; resistance about 1.6 =
times that of copper. =A0Brass, on the other hand, has resistance about 4 time=
s that of copper.=A0 The 1/8=B2 x =BD=B2 copper I had I got from Aeroelectric; I was=
 surprised to find that he is now selling .025 thick brass instead.=A0 In a =BD=B2=
 width, that=B9s equivalent to about a #15 wire.=A0 Seems pretty marginal for a =
buss with half dozen or more circuits running off.=A0<BR>
</FONT><BR>
<BR>
I had the same concern about the thickness of my bus bar. &nbsp;Bob Nuckols=
 told me that, in a DC circuit, it's the surface area, not the cross section=
, of the conductor that determines the current carrying capacity. &nbsp;I ca=
n't remember the thickness of mine but it seemed thin at the time.<BR>
<BR>
Dave Scharfenberg
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3165821861_84005_MIME_Part--