REFLECTOR:FW: Buss material

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:30:34 -0400

On 25 Apr 2004 at 0:16, Joe wrote:

> copper.  Aluminum has a higher expansion rate than copper when subjected to heat.  This can lead to clamps and fasteners loosening over time.  Commercial and residential wiring that uses aluminum,

But we're talking about short distances in your typical panel buss,
so the difference shouldn't be that great. What I'd worry more about
is getting good, airtight connections with all those breakers.

You can find copper buss bar in the Allied or Newark Electronics
catalogs. Also check the wire retailers, like SEA.

The best idea I heard was using aluminum bar as the main power
buss fore to aft. It's lighter and cheaper than those long runs of
copper, there's only four connections that need to be made and
those are large enough to use nuts, bolts and high compression
tennerman (?) washers.

---
David Parrish