REFLECTOR:Grove brakes.

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 00:07:27 -0500

--------------F51F0E3F925A05A437B427DF

I used to have soft brakes.  Wore out pads pretty quickly.
Noticed that pads did not wear in a neat, tidy symmetrical way,
but ended up wedge shaped.  Inspected really REALLY close with
someone else pumping the brakes and found the caliper binding on
the gear leg just a little.  Ground off a little glass and the
soft brakes are gone, the pads have lasted ever since.
Check carefully for strange caliper motion ... Jim S.

--
Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5

--------------F51F0E3F925A05A437B427DF

I used to have soft brakes.&nbsp; Wore out pads pretty quickly.&nbsp; Noticed
that pads did not wear in a neat, tidy symmetrical way, but ended up wedge
shaped.&nbsp; Inspected really REALLY close with someone else pumping the
brakes and found the caliper binding on the gear leg just a little.&nbsp;
Ground off a little glass and the soft brakes are gone, the pads have lasted
ever since.
my brake problems on the reflector last October and received several good
suggestions.&nbsp; None have worked so far and I still have a soft pedal.&nbsp;
To quantify that, the pedal will move about an inch after the pads contact
the disc.&nbsp; The airplane is ready to fly so today a friend and I made
one more attempt to solve the problem.&nbsp; We disconnected the brake
line at the caliper and capped it.&nbsp; This gave a good hard pedal so
we decided to bench bleed the caliper.&nbsp; Following the suggestions,
we tapped, rotated and oriented the caliper so that the outlets between
pistons were on top and on and on.&nbsp; NO bubbles.&nbsp; I give up!&nbsp;
I'll buy new brakes.</font></font>
aviator website have recommended Grove brakes over Clevelands.&nbsp; Is
any one on the Reflector familiar with Grove?&nbsp; Velocity?&nbsp; Your
comments please.&nbsp; Also, can you tell me what Cleveland model is a
bolt on for the standard RG.</font></font>

--------------F51F0E3F925A05A437B427DF--