REFLECTOR:ATP Turbines - info

John Cervini reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:47:44 -0400

This is from another group.
************************************

Dear Friends,

My name is Jeff Davidson, and I am the new CEO of ATP.  I am writing to
provide an update on our activities, our future and the availability of our
products.

Many of you are likely wondering what ATP has been doing the past several
months and years.  In short, we've been preparing ourselves, in a number of
ways, to manufacture, market, distribute and support turbine engines for the
experimental market.  We have been at work building a business team, raising
money, finalizing patent applications and production requirements and
developing a great and innovative product more fully. Rather than come to
market with an incomplete product or plan, when we launch, we will be fully
prepared to fill orders and support our customers.  In short, we've been
working out the challenges and difficulties of this business, so that our
customers are well taken care of.

We will be selling two engines initially - one in the range of 150-200 hp;
another in the range of 200-250 hp.  We are pleased to confirm that
customers will be able to order ATP engines at the 2004 AirVenture / Oshkosh
Air Show, and the first engines will be delivered within 60 days of order.
As additional technical information is finalized, we will share this
information with you here and on our website.  We further anticipate that
both of these engines will be sold in the range of $30,000 to $40,000.  In
addition, depending upon your current configuration, additional investments
may be required in the firewall-forward.

As you know our engines will offer several significant advantages:

-          Reliable with a 10,000 hour time between overhaul (TBO)

-          Low maintenance - with few moving parts

-          High Performance - with a very high power to weight ratio and
very effective performance at altitude

-          Little reason to throttle to 55% to "save the engine"

-          Pilot Friendly - Easy to control and operate with the engine
computer doing the hard work

-          Fuel Efficient and Fuel Versatile - Capable of burning nearly any
fuel - Gasoline, Diesel, Kerosene, JP-series efficiently

Within the next few months, we will have far more detailed flight and
operational characteristics available as we gain flight time on additional
aircraft beyond the RV-4.  We look forward to keeping all of you updated on
our progress in this regard.  I am confident that this information will
answer this forum's questions on the performance characteristics on the
engine.  We are convinced that the ultimate characteristics and performance
of the engine will speak for itself; however, we are in the process of
confirming all of our test results.  Much like we will not go to market with
an incomplete product, the test data that we share must be of the highest
quality and not marketing hype - we respectfully ask your indulgence as we
conduct additional tests and validate this data.

We have partnered with Rivers Aeronautical to provide the firewall-forward
kits to the experimental aircraft market.  Rivers and ATP will have several
of the most popular kits available for purchase at Oshkosh, with plans to
quickly offer kits for a broad array of kit aircraft.

These firewall forward kits will require the buyer to install a new engine
mount if replacing a current engine or to use a Rivers Aeronautical firewall
forward kit if doing a new build. Due to our engine's considerably lower
weight, as compared to internal combustion, reciprocating engines, the
turbine will be moved slightly forward (averaging about 10 to 12 inches)
from the firewall to keep the center of mass in its proper location.  With
this new mount, the aircraft will also need a new cowling.  Finally, a
variable pitch in-flight adjustable electrical propeller is currently
required.  This is required because the engine must start in a a no-load
condition. The details on the kit are still being hammered out; however,
this kit will cost approximately 10,000 to $12,000, and a propeller will
cost an additional $5,000 to $10,000.  In short, with the purchase of the
engine, the propeller and the firewall-forward kit the buyer is fully
prepared to install our engine - we don't expect any hidden costs of any
sort.

Going forward, we are very excited about our ability to deliver these
products to the experimental market.  We are confident that our product
brings a host of advantages to the kit builder and pilot and we look forward
to sharing more information with you in the coming months.  In the meantime,
please bear with us as we prepare to hit the ground running in July.
Between now and then, expect a number of changes with respect to our
presence in the market and our ability to share information with you.  We're
confident that the team we've assembled, in conjunction with ATP's founders
- Charlie and Chuck Nearhoof - will exceed your expectations.

Again, thanks for your interest - and we look forward to delivering a
practical, sensible turbine engine to you.

Best wishes,

Jeff Davidson

Chief Executive Officer

ATP