REFLECTOR:Here we go again ... was Forwarded from Canards@Yah oo

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:25:04 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Jim Sower
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 1:07 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Here we go again ... was Forwarded from
Canards@Yahoo

Chuck,
<... like leading a horse to water in the middle of the desert ...>
Not sure I follow that ...
<... should have been there already ...>
OK.  Got it.  Of course you're preaching to the choir again.  But then, you
know that
;o)  From the git-go the only thing between me and EI was $.  Every time I
thought I
had the $800 or so, either my wife would spend it on something she really
REALLY
needed, or the airplane would break something with more priority (like a jug
or navcom
or something).  I'm getting that tired of screwing around that I'll make the
move
pretty soon.

<... should stir up all of 'em that are concerned about know-nothings
expressing their
opinions ...>
It's been my experience that a lot of the discussion about certified engines
v. auto
conversions gets to be kind of theological, and produces more heat than
light.
Sometimes I get in and mix it up just for the pure joy of it.  Other times I
get back
to setting up my Mazda with EI, EFI, EFIS, $6000 capitalization, $800
overhaul, 4000
hr TBO etc.  Decided a loooong time ago that the fact that a powerplant was
invented
in biblical times and not changed much since does little to recommend it to
me.
Others feel that many decades of tradition are a really good thing and that
kind of
stability and documentation (even if it is a litany of failure and
unreliability)
makes them comfortable.

To each his own .... Jim S.

Chuck Jensen wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Leading you to an EI is like leading a horse to water in the middle of the
> desert...should have been there already.  Inherently better timing, better
> spark, lower plug fouling, more power, smoother operating, independent
> ignition source (when used in a mag/EI combo), better reliability, able to
> operate LOP, et al.  (I'm not sure about the reliability but I hear about
> lot of mags going South, but then, there's a lot more mags out there).
So,