REFLECTOR:Forwarded from Canards@Yahoo

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:18:52 -0400

Humbly,
Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Jim Sower
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 11:14 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Forwarded from Canards@Yahoo

Ain't this technology wunnerful??  Sure do wish I could get something this
well
designed and easy to maintain for my car (the devil made me say that)
Still pissed that I have to retard my timing (or let that timing crap lead
me to an
EI)... Jim S.

Scott Derrick wrote:

> This is a forwarded message, not my airplane or forced landing..
> Scott
>
> Canard Group:
>
> Last week I had a forced landing after a rise in oil temperature.  The
cause
> was apparent in retrospect.
>
> 15 hours before a local mechanic overhauled the engine because of bearing
> wear.  Inspection revealed a damaged crankshaft, so the crank was replaced
> with a
> new one.
>
> The mechanic overlooked Lycoming Service instruction 1435.  Simply put, if
> you use a fixed pitch prop, you must drill a hole (1/8 to 3/16 diameter)
in
> the
> aft crankshaft plug  (aft of engine, not aft of airplane).  Failure to do
> this results in pressurization of the hollow crankshaft and eventual
> blowout of
> the (prop end) crankshaft nose plug.
>
> While cruising at 11,500 ft I noticed a 10 degree rise in oil temperature.
> As there was no explaination for this increase I began descent for a
> precautionary landing.  On retarding the throttle the oil pressure
> decreased from 60 psi
> to 30 psi.
>
> By the time I landed (6 minutes) the oil pressure was indicating zero.
There

--
Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5