REFLECTOR:Forwarded from Canards@Yahoo

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:44:49 -0600

This is a forwarded message, not my airplane or forced landing..
Scott

Canard Group:

Last week I had a forced landing after a rise in oil temperature.  The cause
was apparent in retrospect.

15 hours before a local mechanic overhauled the engine because of bearing
wear.  Inspection revealed a damaged crankshaft, so the crank was replaced
with a
new one.

The mechanic overlooked Lycoming Service instruction 1435.  Simply put, if
you use a fixed pitch prop, you must drill a hole (1/8 to 3/16 diameter) in
the
aft crankshaft plug  (aft of engine, not aft of airplane).  Failure to do
this results in pressurization of the hollow crankshaft and eventual
blowout of
the (prop end) crankshaft nose plug.

While cruising at 11,500 ft I noticed a 10 degree rise in oil temperature.
As there was no explaination for this increase I began descent for a
precautionary landing.  On retarding the throttle the oil pressure
decreased from 60 psi
to 30 psi.

By the time I landed (6 minutes) the oil pressure was indicating zero.  There
was no oil left in the sump, and the aft plug in the crank was obviously
loose.

I removed and dissasembled the engine and fortunately  there was no internal
scoring, heat damage or wear.  Hopefully I will be flying soon with minimal
inconvenience.

The RV group seems to be very aware of this problem with three off airport
landings.  I haven't seen it discussed here!  (did I miss it?) Be sure, don't
let this happen to you!

Michael  Marshall
Cozy N89CZ  1500 hours

"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin