REFLECTOR:Engines

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:26:16 -0700

At 07:54 AM 4/22/04 -0400, you wrote:
All the same arguments we used when we went from the 360 to the 540 on the
Berkut.  Let me throw in a couple more.

1) 540's aren't significantly more expensive on the used market than
360's.  Cores can be less.  Rebuilds, of course, are more, but not that
much more.

2) I *think* that the CG change will be the same solo or dual.  Add weight
to the nose either in useful equipment or lead pushed forward to counteract
the 80-100 lb engine difference, after that the CG shift with load will be
just like a 360.  I think.

3) It's an easy engine to hotrod.  We get 300 hp out of them with nothing
but porting and 9.5:1 pistons.  The 235 hp engines are exactly the same as
the 260 hp, the rating is just done at a different RPM.

4) Smooooooth.

5) There's no replacement for cubic inches.

6) like you said, fly on a cruise prop, climb performance is as good or
better than a 360 with a climb prop.

7) NO LOSS OF FUEL EFFICIENCY.  The fuel specific stays the same.  If
you're in formation with an identical airframe but with a 360 engine,
you'll have almost the same fuel burn - yours will be just a touch higher
because you're hauling the extra 80 lbs.

The CG is the key.