REFLECTOR:Engines

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:12:28 -0600

This is good news.

I was just offered a rebuildable TIO540 for a very reasonable sum.  I was
considering replacing my IO360 with it and putting a fixed pitched Catto on
it.

Like Joe,  I thought it would have plenty of  power to get me airborn in a
more reasonable runway length and I could run it in cruise at 50% power and
get the same performance I get with the IO360.  I could also fly high with
the turbo and get some really interesting speeds no doubt.

I was wondering how much weight I would gain in the conversion.

Scott

At 05:54 AM 4/22/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Joe,
>Alan Shaw once had a standard with an IO540 on it.  I heard a presentation
>he did at Sun-n-Fun a few years back saying that this was a great
>combination (although I'm not sure which prop he used).  He says the CG
>box is very conservative and that the standard can actually handle the
>added weight of the 540.  But, I do know the 173 wings are heavier and
>places more weight aft of the CG than the standard wings.
>
>Craig Catto can make a 3 blade prop for the
>540.  <http://www.cattoprops.com/>http://www.cattoprops.com/
>
>And of course the 173 wings are the same as the XL, so that shouldn't be
>an issue.
>
>You'll have a real screamer - for certain.  >From my owner list, I count
>at least 4 540's on standard fuselages - and Alan Shaw's was a 173.
>
>Ronnie

"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin