REFLECTOR:Wing Fences

Al Gietzen reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:02:50 -0700

However, I have a possibly dumb question.  All of the
discussion on the subject of wing fences were about
trailing edge fences.  My question is what about full
wing fences, from leading edge to trailing edge.

I am sure some of the very knowledgable builders will
be able to enlighten me on this issue.

=====
David Doyle

David - I think the tuft testing on the Velocity on a trailer, and on flying
EZs shows the streamlines to be fairly straight back on the forward portion
of the wing.  Things get messy on the upper surface further back where flow
separation begins at high angles of attack.

The photos I've seen show essentially straight-back flow on the under side
even at high angles of attack; so it is not clear to me why Klaus Savier
concluded the fence should also extend a bit on the underside.

Al