REFLECTOR:Velocity busts Presidential TFR

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:01:51 EDT

--part1_15d.331ca816.2db81f1f_boundary

Dennis,
Be very careful with your response. There are several bureaucratic layers
(all infallible and VERY vindictive) between whoever/whatever "observed" you and
the FAA.
FAA was probably receiving the info second/third/fourth hand.
At Sun'n Fun there was a booth manned by Florida Air National Guard  (FANG)
where a detailed description of intercepts and response routines were
"explained". I don't know who has the reponsibility in Texas, but in Florida it is
FANG. They scramble F16s or F15s. The F15s don't even have VHF thus cannot
communicate on 121.5, but..., the major proudly stated, a blast from the afterburners
will get your attention instead.
If I were you I would write a polite, no sarcasm, letter back to FAA
explaining the reason for why it was not you and requesting a written confirmation
that no harm will come your way. I would also send a copy of the FAA letter and
your response to AOPA (for information only, no action required for now).
My guess is that you will never know who "observed" you. Pursuing it may only
get you onto the NO FLY LIST, and TSA is never wrong.

Hope it works out for you. Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Odd   N190J  XL/RG

--part1_15d.331ca816.2db81f1f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff"><FONT  BA=
CK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMI=
LY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Dennis,<BR>
Be very careful with your response. There are several bureaucratic layers (a=
ll infallible and VERY vindictive) between whoever/whatever "observed" you a=
nd the FAA.<BR>
FAA was probably receiving the info second/third/fourth hand.<BR>
At Sun'n Fun there was a booth manned by Florida Air National Guard&nbsp; (F=
ANG) where a detailed description of intercepts and response routines were "=
explained". I don't know who has the reponsibility in Texas, but in Florida=20=
it is FANG. They scramble F16s or F15s. The F15s don't even have VHF thus ca=
nnot communicate on 121.5, but..., the major proudly stated, a blast from th=
e afterburners will get your attention instead.<BR>
If I were you I would write a polite, no sarcasm, letter back to FAA explain=
ing the reason for why it was not you and requesting a written confirmation=20=
that no harm will come your way. I would also send a copy of the FAA letter=20=
and your response to AOPA (for information only, no action required for now)=
.<BR>
My guess is that you will never know who "observed" you. Pursuing it may onl=
y get you onto the NO FLY LIST, and TSA is never wrong.<BR>
<BR>
Hope it works out for you. Please keep us posted.<BR>
<BR>
Best regards,<BR>
Odd&nbsp;&nbsp; N190J&nbsp; XL/RG</FONT></HTML>

--part1_15d.331ca816.2db81f1f_boundary--