REFLECTOR:Velocity busts Presidential TFR

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:44:13 -0400

Dennis,

> Dear FAA,
> 1. OK, who stole my N number?  My airplane is a homebuilt, and
> I'm still working on my 51%.
> 3. If this were my plane, I could get in the Guiness book of
> World Records for making the first Velocity flight from Utah
> to Texas without a propeller.  My prop is  still on order
> from Catto.
> 5. Say hello to George W. for me, but mention that I'm not
> impressed by celebrities.
>
> Please correct this matter as soon as possible.  I want this
> totally inaccurate report shredded and expunged from all FAA
> records.  I welcome a visit from any FAA representative to
> examine my aircraft to verify the facts stated above.  It's
> still in a  hangar next to my house, and it doesn't know what
> a runway looks like yet.

I like your reply as written. Though I'd probably leave out #2 and #4. I would
definitely pursue a WRITTEN apology, as well as information as to where they
got your N-numner.

The fact they did not force this plane to land is interesting. I thought
forced landings were standard procedure for TFR violations. Without a forced
landing, one can presume the N-number was approximately what someone thought
they saw from the ground. Or one they chose from a list. Come to think of it,
WAS it even a Velocity? I'll bet not, but when they looked up the N-number,
there it was. The witness probably has no idea what a Velocity looks like.

Make certain you get the written apology.

Dave Black