REFLECTOR:Why not test NPG+?

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:03:45 -0400

Last time, I promise.

Chuck

[Chuck Jensen]  -----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
Dennis Martin
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 3:11 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Why not test NPG+?

Lots of thoughtful comments  on this debate; you all have me thinking.

A few assumptions about NPG+ deserve testing before I throw out my three
bottles of product.   I believe in the scientific method, and I've got two
fluid engineers living a block or two away.  They have the ability to remain
objective by testing conventional vs. NPG+ . . . and they are rigorous.  I
know they'll keep it based on science, not opinion or wishful thinking.
Like Kurt Winker, first I'll test my Chevy aluminum block with conventional
coolant, and then with NPG+.   Here are the  assumptions that I consider
worth investigating NPG+ technology:

1) If you compare two coolants (conventional 50/50 water antifreeze) and
NPG+, the NPG should result in lower CHTs because when water comes into
contact with hot metal (350+ degrees) it's going to boil away and leave that
part of the metal hotter.  That segment of hotter metal temp has to go
somewhere, so it ultimately spreads out to the rest of the block,
hypothetically migrating to the rest of the block, thus resulting in higher
CHTs.  If you have a normal functioning cooling system, NPG+ claims their
product will result in lower block (CHT) temps than conventional 50/50 mix.
I'll wait and see what happens inside  my engine rather than trust their
data.

2) NPG technology is based on a much higher surface tension compared with
conventional 50/50 antifreeze & water.  If this hold true in my tests, NPG+
should remain attached to the hot spots in my engine.  It's kind of like
"Water Wetter" products, but Water Wetter is basically a surfactant.  If you
use it you'll end up with a "detergent"  in your coolant - the poor man's
way of trying to get higher surface tension.  Better than nothing to
increase surface tension, but it's still a surfactant which means you have
bubbles, but smaller bubbles.

3) As for the failure of a system, this should be easy to test if I put
20-30 hours of static plus taxi testing on my system.  In theory, you could
run at zero pressure, but Evans rcommends a 5 lb. pressure cap.  That's an
absolute safety advantage over conventional pressures because it puts 50-75%
less stress on all the hoses and gaskets.  In my book, that's definitely
worth testing scientifically.

My plan is to reserve judgment until after run the test, and I'll definitely
let you people know.  I'll be the  first guy to throw out the NPG+ if it
does not provide the safety margin I'm looking for.  No guarantees which
ever way I go, but at least I'll have done my best to work on more fact than
fiction.

All the best,
Dennis
FG Elite,  Chevy 4.5 Liter V-6

This is news to me.  My only agument to the documented success is that it
seems contrary to principals of engine cooling.  The conventional
water/antifreeze mix boils in the cylinder jacket and boiling is the most
efficient means of heat transfer which means it will keep your engine the
coolest.  They admit that with NPG+ the engine runs hotter, but claim that
is a good thing for better efficiency.  It is true that the hotter the
engine the more thermodynamically efficient it will run, but it won't run
long if the temperature is too high.  Us with air cooled engines don't seem
to be looking for ways to increase our engine temps.  I suggest you record
your CHT/EGT temps wtih the distilled water and compare with NPG+.  If
you're comfortable with the higher temps using NPG+, then I guess it will be
ok.  Eliminating boil-over is a detriment rather than an asset IMO.  With a
conventional coolant if you lose coolant circulation, it boils over.
However as long as it is boiling over, you still have cooling and time to
prepare to shutdown before your engine overheats.  With the NPG+, I think
overheating would happen immediately upon loss of coolant circulation.

John