REFLECTOR: Strakes- where to build?

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:03:01 -0400

RJohn15183@aol.com wrote:

Rob,

> I thought it worked well but 2 years later when mounting the wings
> for real I had solid half inch mismatch.
>
> I thought the lower skin alone would be enough to lock the spar into place but obviously it was not.

Yes, until the top skin is epoxied in place, the strake is still relatively
flexible to twist. If you've removed the wings, it's possible that installing
the bulkheads and baffles can actually give the strake a bias one way or
another. I had both wings installed during the entire strake operation, and
had no mismatch problems at all.

Dave Black