REFLECTOR:Re: Strake Mismatch

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:43:33 EDT

-------------------------------1082479413

I have the luxury of having my hangar 10 feet from my house. Even though I
installed the strakes with BOTH wings attached, the closest I could get certain
areas was almost 1/2" off... while othere areas were pretty close. I spent
more time jigging things than it took to attach them.
   Even with the mismatch, it only took about a week to get everything closed
up and the wing/strake matched.

I ended up grinding away the upper skin outboard of the outer bulkhead, and
feathered it closer to the wing (but not all the way). Then I reskinned it.
After that I used SuperFill to fill the entire area,
leaving the seam at the leading edge, and at the spar so I could see them.
After I sanded everything down, I taped between the two reference lines left
unfilled and recut the wing/strake line. After that, I feathered in the
leading edge and spar reference areas that were left infilled.

Seemed to work out very well. But almost every multi-molded joint area (
wing/strake, or upper/lower fuselage & doors) will take some work.

Kurt Winker

-------------------------------1082479413

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>I have the luxury of having my hangar 10 feet from my house. Even thoug=
h I installed the strakes with BOTH wings attached, the closest I could get=20=
certain areas was almost 1/2" off... while othere areas were pretty close. I=
 spent more time jigging things than it took to attach them. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; Even with the mismatch, it only took about a week to get e=
verything closed up and the wing/strake matched. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I ended up grinding away the upper skin <STRONG>outboard</STRONG> of th=
e outer bulkhead, and feathered it closer to the wing (but not all the way).=
 Then I reskinned it. After that I used SuperFill to fill the entire area, <=
/DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>leaving the seam at the leading edge, and at the spar</STRONG>=20=
so I could see them. </DIV>
<DIV>After I sanded everything down, I taped between the two reference lines=
 left unfilled and recut the wing/strake line. After that, I feathered in th=
e leading edge and spar reference areas that were left infilled. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Seemed to work out very well. But almost every multi-molded joint area=20=
( wing/strake, or upper/lower fuselage &amp; doors) will take some work. </D=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Kurt Winker </DIV></BODY></HTML>