REFLECTOR: Strakes- where to build?

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:16:51 -0400

> Chris,
>
> Back when DM Rob Johnson had his site available to the
> public, he had pictures of his strake installation.
> As I remember, he installed the strakes one at a time, one
> wing at a time.

Yep, I waited for a three day weekend and did both sides in three days sticking one wing out the garage door at a time and allowing each side to set up over night.

I thought it worked well but 2 years later when mounting the wings for real I had solid half inch mismatch.

Yes. I was heart broken.

I thought the lower skin alone would be enough to lock the spar into place but obviously it was not.

However, we did fix it so it looks fine now but it did take a LOT of micro! So much micro that we put another ply of fine bid on top of it to keep it from cracking off.

It's a tough call. Working at the house is a very powerful advantage. Sooo...

Chris, my wife and I arrived at an arrangement years ago. She gets to doll up the house with all the froo-froo crap she wants. My office and the garage are MINE. On a square foot basis that gives her undisputed domination of over 80% of the household. Just tell your loving wife in a selfless and generous way, "Give me my 20% you selfish hag!" :-)

Then modify your garage door and stick a wing out. Build a "dog house" extension to cover your winglet/rudder if needed. I give that plan the DM stamp of approval! :) ;)