REFLECTOR:Strakes!

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:23:37 -0400

Chris,

> I would prefer not to use the templates.  I just don't know of
> a realistic option.

The problem is, if you use templates you are virtually guaranteed to have a
mismatch when you finally install the wings. One very meticulous builder was
heartbroken when he installed his wings and found a mismatch of 3/4" at the
leading edge. And the comments about several gallons of extra micro are no
joke. In my view, it's lots better to get the strakes right in the first
place.

> SWMBO, nor the City of
> Houston and homeowners assoc, would not be amused.

This is definitely a problem. But I suggest you think outside the box and come
up with a creative solution which allows you to install the wings while you
build the strakes. Any chance of putting up a tent for a week or so? Wouldn't
it take that long for the homeowners' assoc to tell you to take it down? What
about your back yard? Sometimes you have to push the limits.

> She already "expresses concern" about
> fiberglass and micro dust getting in the house

Been there, done that!

> the reality is, I like working in my garage and feel I get
> WAAAAY more done having my "hanger" in my garage and just off
> the kitchen. I will routinely go out and check a lay-up at 1
> or 2 am and/or pull off peel ply before I go to work.

I absolutely agree. The convenience is unmatched, because there is NO travel
time, and if you have five minutes free, that can be five minutes working on
the plane.

BUT I have also seen that there is simply no way to keep the fiberglass dust
from permeating the entire house. Maybe the best compromise is a DETATCHED
workshop in the back yard. Suffice it to say I'll never again build a glass
plane in an attached garage.

> One of the web pages showed bolting the templates (via a
> jig) into the concrete floor.  But, I did not see anything in
> the plans about that, so I was hoping for some insight from
> the factory folks.

I had not heard of this method. But please keep in mind that it's still a
template, and the wings will probably not fit properly. If you do decide to go
the template route, I'd strongly suggest you not fill or sand the wings and
strakes until you are able to put them together. No point in having to go
through the filling and sanding process twice.

> How long do I need to have the wings on?

I suppose if you really got organized, you could do the strakes in a weekend.
Remember, the strakes are not done until the top is in place and cured. I took
several weeks, but I was in no hurry. And I did both strakes simultaneously.

> Also, does having just one wing mounted affect the process
> since it is uneven?

I was concerned that doing the wings separately I might wind up with different
incidence angles. And I liked being able to run back and forth from one wing
to another to ensure everything was identical. But, if you measure everything
carefully and duplicate those measurements accurately on the other side, you
should be OK.

> how to get my plane into the garage with a wing on it?

Maybe you should put the fuselage in position, then mount the wing.

> Even if possible, it would block access to the freezer, washer and dryer...

More creative thinking required. Move the freezer? Take out the food you'll
need while the wing is installed? Wash all your clothes now and use a
laundromat until the strake is done? You'll have access to the freezer and
washer briefly while you switch wings...

> ...or, give in, and make the templates....

In my experience the time you spend now installing the wings will be more than
paid back in time, effort, and weight later.

Dave Black