REFLECTOR:lights

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:30:44 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42623.47CBC3D0

I'm installing twin rectangular Xenon driving lights by mounting them as a
sandwich on both sides of the nose gear.  I decided to do something because
I could never find a good place to store the white cane that I needed for
taxiing at night.  They're a tiny fraction of the cost of the "aviation"
lights (under $100), but don't know how they work yet.  Will post when I
know.

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
NMFlyer1@aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 9:53 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:lights

I thought about lights on the canard, but had already completed my glass
work on the canard when I heard about it. I know that it can be hard to see
when taxiing around the Airpark where I live and wanted something a little
better. In an old V-V, I think Dave B. had a taxi bulb idea and I put that
in my system... but there could be additional light.
I am considering a  HID light for the main light.

Lopresti has a system, but it is overly expensive, and they won't even
return calls or E-mails regarding the product.  I do like the 17-degree
option they offer though.
HID Boom  <http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_systems.htm> Beam
Aircraft Lighting - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Landing taxi recognition

Aerovisions has a similar system at almost half the price (still expensive),
and I plan on calling them regarding the best "intermediate" system.
HID Xenon arc discharge  <http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/> aircraft landing,
taxi and work lights

The reasons I am even thinking about such a system are:
     The much lower current draw will eliminate the need for a landing light
relay, and
     Give the system back about 4 amps.

    Less heat, much more light!! and a much longer bulb life.

I did an experiment with the landing light in the V.   I placed the light at
the correct height on a pushcart, and at the same angle as in the airplane.
I pointed it down the road at night and looked at the pattern and distance.
The pattern was pretty small, and provided fairly good light Wayyyyy down
there...in a small circle.  I then put the halogen bulb (aircraft)
replacement for the 4509 on the stand and tried again. There was a little
more light, slightly brighter at the target, but still a small pattern.
I ended up putting that bulb in the Cherokee and it works OK... but nothing
spectacular.

Since I rarely even use lights when I land (unless there is traffic in the
area) I prefer more light in the taxi phase. It gets VERY dark when you taxi
on unlit, unpainted roads through a neighborhood!!

Other than the ridiculous price :).... Any input on the HID lights?

Kurt Winker.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42623.47CBC3D0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
<DIV><SPAN class=781072015-19042004>I'm installing twin rectangular&nbsp;Xenon
driving lights by mounting them as a sandwich on both sides of the nose
gear.&nbsp; I&nbsp;decided to do something because&nbsp;I could never find a
good place to store the white cane that I needed for taxiing at night.&nbsp;
They're a tiny fraction of the cost of the "aviation" lights (under $100), but
don't know how they work yet.&nbsp; Will post when I know.</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=781072015-19042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=781072015-19042004>Chuck</SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT
  face=Tahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>
  reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of
  </B>NMFlyer1@aol.com<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 19, 2004 9:53
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:lights
  <BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>I thought about lights on the canard, but had already completed my glass
  work on the canard when I heard about it. I know that it can be hard to see
  when taxiing around the Airpark&nbsp;where I live&nbsp;and wanted something a
  little better. In an old V-V, I think Dave B. had a taxi bulb idea and I put
  that in my system... but there could be additional light.</DIV>
  <DIV>I&nbsp;am considering a &nbsp;<STRONG>HID</STRONG> light for the main
  light. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Lopresti has a system, but it is overly expensive, and they won't even
  return calls or E-mails regarding the product.&nbsp; I do like the 17-degree
  option they offer though. </DIV>
  <DIV><A href="http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_systems.htm">HID Boom
  Beam Aircraft Lighting - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Landing taxi
  recognition</A></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Aerovisions has a similar system at almost half the price (still
  expensive), and I plan on calling them regarding the best "intermediate"
  system. </DIV>
  <DIV><A href="http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/">HID Xenon arc discharge
  aircraft landing, taxi and work lights</A></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>The reasons I am even thinking about such a system are: </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The much lower current draw will eliminate the
  need for a landing light relay, and </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Give the system back about 4 amps. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Less heat, much more light!! and a much longer bulb
  life. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I did an experiment with the landing light in the
  <STRONG>V.</STRONG>&nbsp;&nbsp; I placed the light at the correct height on a
  pushcart, and at the same angle as in the airplane. I pointed it down the road
  at night and looked at the pattern and distance. The pattern was pretty small,
  and provided fairly good light Wayyyyy down there...in a small circle.&nbsp; I
  then put the halogen bulb (aircraft) replacement for the 4509 on the stand and
  tried again. There was a little more light, slightly brighter at the target,
  but still a small pattern. </DIV>
  <DIV>I ended up putting that bulb in the Cherokee and it works OK... but
  nothing spectacular. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Since I rarely even use lights when I land (unless there is traffic in
  the area) I prefer more light in the taxi phase. It gets VERY dark when you
  taxi on unlit, unpainted roads through a neighborhood!! </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Other than the ridiculous price :).... Any input on the HID lights?
</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Kurt Winker. </DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42623.47CBC3D0--