REFLECTOR:Velocity Manuals, Methods & Views

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:05:06 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42168.B4C74E20

Kurt,

You bring up a good point...and bad point.  Certainly, the good was your
discovering the deficient nose gear before it had a chance to bring itself
to your attention at a most awkward time.  The bad point is the "system"
that would have you in a place where you have a known deficit part, and
didn't know it.  Strictly my opinion, but in this day of computers,
internet, email and relational databases, it seems there ought to be a
better tracking/notification system.

Such a system would be a significant investment in setting it up, in that
there are already a few hundred planes of unknown history and pedigree that
would need to be entered.  But once set up, it would have high utility value
to builders and would help prevent your very circumstance.  If the Factory
(the obvious "owner" of the program) needed to recover some of the upfront
cost, they could ask a one time subscription fee of $200 or $300 to cover
initial costs.  The budget-minded among the builders could just choose to
not participate and continue to rely on luck in obtaining the information.
I would expect that a quality control program of this sort would ultimately
come close to paying for itself as a strong selling point to new potential
buyers for the Factory.

I'm sure Scott could fill us in on the number of times that changeout of the
nose gear has been mentioned in VV and here-n-there, but you are evidence
that the "system" employed is still not good enough.  From your postings, it
seems apparent that you take care, are merticulous and are sometimes even
anal on details (your description!), yet you (re)discovered the problem by
luck and happenstance.  That's not really good enough for a plane that ends
up costing $100K+.

Still room to improve.

Chuck

[Chuck Jensen]  -----Original Message-----