REFLECTOR:Velocity Manuals, Methods & Views

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:12:01 EDT

-------------------------------1081865521

This has been an interesting couple weeks. I just thought I would share a
couple things.
I know you have read some of my posts regarding aileron and rudder
frustrations lately.

I have been working on my kit for quite some time (almost 3000 hours so far).
No fast build anything, almost nothing farmed out, and my change to Chevy
power eats up a LOT of time.

Due to the time line, many things have changed at Velocity. My old manual is
obviously outdated, but will usually work. On my ailerons, it did not. The
factory has always been helpful and patient, and my aileron quest caused me to
start printing out the newer On-Line plans. Of course, the new plans and my old
manual are similar in some areas, and quite different in others.
  I believe that a number of improvements and clarifications are located in
the new On-Line instructions that would be valuable to other builders that have
been building for some time.
There will be areas where the older parts or methods do not quite jive with
the new instructions. That can be dealt with, but I believe the newer methods
are much improved.
I ordered some parts from Aircraft Spruce & Headache, and my rudders should
be finished within a day or two of receiving the parts. The relatively cheap
parts will allow me to follow the newer methods in the manual, and have better
functioning and longer lasting rudder controls.

Since I have been building a while, I have a stack of velocity Views about 3"
thick. I read every one and check the KPC's in every issue. There is always
the possibility that one can miss some information, and that happened to me.
The latest V-V Rehashed the issue on nose gear forks. Last night in the
hangar, I glanced down at my nose gear fork, and: Holy Batshit... It looks like I
have the obsolete nose gear fork!
Now I have to get my V-V from work and double check... but THAT is a valuable
piece of information! That one little piece of previously emparted
information could well have saved me enough headache and damage money to pay for a
life's subscription to V-V.

Just thought I'd share.... my TheRapist says it's good for me  :)

All the best... Kurt Winker

-------------------------------1081865521

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>This has been an interesting couple weeks. I just thought I would share=
 a couple things.</DIV>
<DIV>I know you have read some of my posts regarding aileron and rudder frus=
trations lately. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have been working on my kit for quite some time (almost 3000 hours so=
 far). No fast build anything, almost nothing farmed out, and my change to C=
hevy power eats up a LOT of time. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Due to the time line, many things have changed at Velocity. My old manu=
al is obviously outdated, but will usually work. On my ailerons, it did not.=
 The factory has always been helpful and patient, and my aileron quest&nbsp;=
caused me to start printing out the newer On-Line plans. Of course, the new=20=
plans and my old manual are similar in some areas, and quite different in ot=
hers. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; I believe that a number of improvements and clarifications are l=
ocated in the new On-Line instructions that would be valuable to other build=
ers that have been&nbsp;building for some time. </DIV>
<DIV>There will be&nbsp;areas where the older parts or methods do not quite=20=
jive with the new instructions. That can be dealt with, but I believe the ne=
wer methods are much improved. </DIV>
<DIV>I ordered some parts from Aircraft Spruce &amp; Headache, and my rudder=
s should be finished within a day or two of receiving the parts. The relativ=
ely cheap parts will allow me to follow the newer methods in the manual, and=
 have better functioning and longer lasting rudder controls. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Since I have been building a while, I have a stack of velocity Views ab=
out 3" thick. I read every one and check the KPC's in every issue. There is=20=
always the possibility that one can miss some information, and that happened=
 to me.</DIV>
<DIV>The latest V-V Rehashed the issue on nose gear forks. Last night in the=
 hangar, I glanced down at my nose gear fork, and: Holy Batshit... It looks=20=
like I have the obsolete nose gear fork! </DIV>
<DIV>Now I have to get my V-V from work and double check... but THAT is a va=
luable piece of information! That one little piece of&nbsp;previously empart=
ed&nbsp;information could well have saved me enough headache and damage mone=
y to pay for a life's subscription to V-V.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Just thought I'd share.... my TheRapist says it's good for me&nbsp; :)=20=
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>All the best... Kurt Winker</DIV></BODY></HTML>