REFLECTOR:It must be me....

Jim Agnew reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 17:53:49 -0700 (PDT)

Kurt,

If you go to a marine supply you can get small SS thimbles
for wire that look like little pulleys.  I drilled mine out
to 1/4" and used a bolt with two small washers to make the
thimbles turn.  You crimp the wire on tight and presto, you
have a cable end that rotates as the rudder horn moves.

Jim

--- NMFlyer1@aol.com wrote:
> Sometimes I wonder when I get to see the video of my
> luck.
>
> While working on the rudder cables today, I ran across
> the following:
>
> The stainless wire I received with my kit is 14" too
> short to make the runs
> as per the plans.
> (I can always get more... but it is frustrating)
>
> My plans say to hook the cable to the rudder horn with
> the cable thimble. It
> doesn't fit through the hole without prying it apart, and
> it won't fit to the
> edge of the horn without grinding some of the horn away.
>

>   The new plans say to install the thimble on an AN-3
> bolt, washers, etc....
> but the hole in my rudder horn is an AN-4 hole. Obviously
> the fit is extremely
> sloppy. The AN-4 bolt is too big for the thimble.
> etc.... etc.  Now I had
> planned on using forked compression fittings on the
> rudder horn end (like
> sailboat rigging), but they are too long for the rudder
> horn pocket.
>
> I have a couple ideas on how to fix this defect, but
> thought I'd ask for
> input.
>
> Thanks,  and laugh loud... I need to hear it  :)
>
> Kurt Winker

=====
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying