REFLECTOR:Aileron Final Chapter

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:01:28 EDT

-------------------------------1081440088

Well, I am finished with my ailerons. I know have 2-1/2" up travel and
2-9'16" down travel on both sides. That is as close as I can get them and still have
a very slight droop in the trailing edges at neutral. Here's what I did
(after all I have previously written!):

I removed the wing root bell cranks and used an 1/8" bit to pilot drill a new
rod end attach hole.

This hole is at 3-3/4" from the center of rotation ( or 1/4" closer in than
the factory hole).

I then welded the factory hole shut, and cleaned everything up.

Then I opened my pilot hole up to 1/4" to accept the rod end attach bolt.

I then followed the NEW ONLINE instructions regarding ailerons to the letter.
After some minor adjustments I now have the travel I stated above.

There will be a slight increase in sensitivity and stiffness, but it should
be minimal.

As a side note, I went out and measured the travel on my old Cherokee 235.
The right aileron has 6.125" up travel and 3" down travel.
 The left aileron has 5.675" up travel and 3.125" down travel.
Although I have not checked the degree measurements with the service manual,
the aircraft flies just fine. I do know that the service manual states +/-
2-degrees on the deflections. It is quite obvious that the Cherokee is out of
those tolerances.
The point is, I have to admit I am WAY too picky, and the Cherokee flies just
fine.  I am sure the Velocity will too.

The End ( of the aileron chapter :)
Now on to the rudders :0

Kurt Winker
Flippers flippin'   173 FGE aluminum v-6 Chevy.

-------------------------------1081440088

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Well, I am finished with my ailerons. I know have 2-1/2" up travel and=20=
2-9'16" down travel on both sides. That is as close as I can get them and st=
ill have a very slight droop in the trailing edges at neutral. Here's what I=
 did (after all I have previously written!):</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I removed the wing root bell cranks and used an 1/8" bit to pilot drill=
 a new&nbsp;rod end attach&nbsp;hole. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This hole is at 3-3/4" from the center of rotation ( or 1/4" closer in=20=
than the factory hole).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I then welded the factory hole shut, and cleaned everything up. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Then I opened my pilot hole up to 1/4" to accept the rod end attach bol=
t. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I then followed the <STRONG>NEW ONLINE</STRONG> instructions regarding=20=
ailerons to the letter. After some minor adjustments I now have the travel I=
 stated above. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There will be a slight increase in sensitivity and stiffness, but it sh=
ould be minimal.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As a side note, I went out and measured the travel on my old Cherokee 2=
35.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>The right aileron has 6.125" up travel and 3" down travel.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;The left aileron has 5.675" up travel and 3.125" down travel. </D=

<DIV>Although I have not checked the degree measurements with the service ma=
nual, the aircraft flies just fine. I do know that the service manual states=
 +/- 2-degrees on the deflections. It is quite obvious that the Cherokee is=20=
out of those tolerances. </DIV>
<DIV>The point is, I have to admit I am WAY too picky, and the Cherokee flie=
s just fine.&nbsp; I am sure the Velocity will too. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The End ( of the aileron chapter :) </DIV>
<DIV>Now on to the rudders :0 </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Kurt Winker</DIV>
<DIV>Flippers flippin'&nbsp;&nbsp; 173 FGE aluminum v-6 Chevy. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>