REFLECTOR:Full stopping at gross.

Alex Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 07 Apr 2004 09:40:09 -0500

Bob-
Actually once the wheels start to slide (sliding friction) there is less
stopping force then if the rotors were just barely turning- this is why
anti-lock brakes can stop a car faster then just locking the wheels up even
on dry pavement and why dragsters avoid wheel spin, because they loose
friction with the pavement.  On that note, I would be concerned if you could
NOT lock up the wheels at full gross with the matcos, because you don't know
how far below locking up you are, and it could be significant.

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of bkuc1@tampabay.rr.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 8:28 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR:Full stopping at gross.

So let me get this straight.  IF you are at full gross and then then right
before lift, you abort, will the current Matco brakes NOT be able to lock
the tires?  If I recall, the situation that happened before was that full
brakes were not applied so as not to flat spot the tires, but just ride them
hard, which led to brake fade.

If the brakes will lock the wheels, then wouldn't the proper procedure for
an aborted take-off with minimal runway left <2000 would be to stomp and
lock the wheels. runways 2000-3000 feet remaining, you would turn the engine
off and apply brakes for a short time as needed, near the end of the runway?

Bob Kuc