REFLECTOR:Full stopping at gross.

Greg Poole reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:58:27 +1000

Bob - only sounds good to me providing you don't mind v. large flat spots on
your tyres and sudden torquing of your gear legs...but then ..wouldn't it be
nice if one could apply hard brake without locking the wheels?...the theory
being that molten rubber on hard surfaces doesn't slow one down as fast as a
very firm brake with wheel still rotating....viz; antilock braking systems
on cars. I know in an emergency anything beats an accident - so is the
latter option which preserves resources and ensures better stopping
performance unrealistic for a Velocity? ...with Matcos?

Greg.

----- Original Message -----
From: <bkuc1@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 12:28 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR:Full stopping at gross.

> So let me get this straight.  IF you are at full gross and then then right
before lift, you abort, will the current Matco brakes NOT be able to lock
the tires?  If I recall, the situation that happened before was that full
brakes were not applied so as not to flat spot the tires, but just ride them
hard, which led to brake fade.

> If the brakes will lock the wheels, then wouldn't the proper procedure for
an aborted take-off with minimal runway left <2000 would be to stomp and
lock the wheels. runways 2000-3000 feet remaining, you would turn the engine
off and apply brakes for a short time as needed, near the end of the runway?