REFLECTOR:Brake selection.

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:53:50 -0400

Burnishing the new pads and disks is a process where you begin slow taxi,
say 30 mph, apply the brakes gently, slow down to 15 mph, then in a minute
or so, repeat the process.  Then after 4-5 cycles at 30 mph, speed up to 45,
slow down to 30 for 4-5 cycles, always allowing the pads and disk to cool
for a minute between cycles.  Then do it from 60 down to 30 mph repeating
the same drill.  Now, avoid any panic stops for the next dozen landings.
This will prevent the glaze, hard to stop, fading brakes associated with
overheating the pads when they are new.  The brakes will last much longer,
they will be less resistant to fading, and they will generate less heat when
making hard stops.

I have always done this with my cars, motorcycles, Cessna, and then my
Velocity.

I read about burnishing pads a long time ago in Motor Trend or Road and
Track.  They said all of their new test cars had to have this done. Else if
they had a new car to test, went out and did high speed stops without
burnishing, the brakes were toast and useless for any further high speed
stops and maximum braking tests until the pads were replaced and the rotors
resurfaced (or replaced if warped from the high temps).

I have also received new pads from Rapco that had a note with them about
burnishing their pads when new.

Try it, it is not hard to do.  Like Rob says, don't ride the brakes, this
can overheat them too when they are new.

Ronnie