REFLECTOR:Follow up on my bad landing

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:58:13 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01C41BE7.957E6360

MessageThat is what Lycoming says (tear down and inspect after a prop =
strike).  But I have heard Duane say that they have not observed any =
engine damage after a wooden prop strike.   =20

Sort of like the stainless props on a boat motor that will destroy the =
drive when hitting rocks - aluminum props just shed a blade or two.  No =
damage to the drive.

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Andy Millin=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 2:23 PM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Follow up on my bad landing

  Don,

  I am very sorry for the damage to your aircraft.  It may be some =
comfort that you have figured out what the cause most likely was and can =
try to take steps to prevent recurrence.

  If you feel up to it, I have a question.  From your post, it sounds =
like you ground the prop down much as an aluminum prop would have =
curled.  How do you know that no damage was done to the engine?  Please =
forgive my ignorance.  I really don't know as much as I would like about =
aircraft engines.  What I had been told was that if the engine was =
running and the prop came in contact with anything larger than a bug or =
a cowl screw, it was considered a prop strike and the engine would need =
to be torn down and inspected.  An engine may very well run after the =
strike, but damage may have been incurred that would only show later if =
the engine continued use.

  I'm asking in earnest, I really would like to learn here.

  Thanks,

  Andy