REFLECTOR:Matco ~ Cleveland Stopping - was Gear Up

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 04 Apr 2004 22:53:27 -0500

--------------BAE34EDA378C400E49889F52

<... I really have to hit the Matco brakes hard and hit the numbers ...>

Just for the hell of it, idle your engine down to about 500 rpm.  I know it will run
rough as a cob at that low an rpm, but you can do all your ground ops off idle a few
hundred rpm.  See if doing this doesn't A) make it easier to plant it on the
numbers;   B) make it easier to make that short turnoff

Some time, when there's no significant traffic, shut the engine down right before
flare, land the airplane, and just let it roll free - no brakes at all.  I'll bet you
cannot MAKE it roll 3000'.  I know I could just barely make a turnoff about 2300' down
the runway when I had a dead stick landing once.  Cleared the foul line, but just
barely.

A real eye opener.  Try it and report back .... Jim S.

--
Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5

--------------BAE34EDA378C400E49889F52

&lt;... I really have to hit the Matco brakes hard and hit the numbers
....>
I know it will run rough as a cob at that low an rpm, but you can do all
your ground ops off idle a few hundred rpm.&nbsp; See if doing this doesn't
A) make it easier to plant it on the numbers;&nbsp;&nbsp; B) make it easier
to make that short turnoff
right before flare, land the airplane, and just let it roll free - no brakes
at all.&nbsp; I'll bet you <b>cannot MAKE it roll 3000'</b>.&nbsp; I know
I could just barely make a turnoff about 2300' down the runway when I had
a dead stick landing once.&nbsp; Cleared the foul line, but just barely.
on 2500' but I
No doubt about
to check for
the