REFLECTOR:Re: Aileron Rigging Frustration

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 19:29:21 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00E1_01C41A7B.2169D4E0

There are two things (at least!) that you are contending with in rigging =
the ailerons.

First, the "approach angle" at the keel causes the ailerons to go down =
more than up.  (i.e., the cable attaches at less than 90 degrees).  2nd, =
as someone else noted, just a bit of slop in the system and the ailerons =
will NOT go up and down a total of 5 inches UNLESS a new hole is drilled =
in the aileron bell cranks (shorter radius). =20

To recover the approach angle problem at the keel, the approach angle at =
the aileron bell cranks will need to be at least 105 degrees (forward of =
90 degrees) when the ailerons are in the neutral position.  I too did =
the math and that is the ONLY way it will work.  (I too drilled many =
holes in the aileron cable brackets and in the aileron torque tube with =
great frustration before I finally got my Turbo Cad program out and =
simulated the system in the computer). =20

It agrees with Al Gietzen's math. =20

I rigged my ailerons with more than 105 degrees approach angle at the =
aileron bellcranks.  Mine are more like 120 degrees which results in =
differential ailerons (more up than down).  And I drilled the new holes =
in the aileron bellcranks to get the 5" total travel.  This stiffens the =
ailerons a bit, but it flies GREAT!!!!  I also have the VG's and except =
for the higher landing speeds, short final handling and landing is =
nearly as good as my old 172.

Ronnie Brown
173 Elite RG (140 hours and LOVING IT!!!!!!!)=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20