REFLECTOR:M-20 Oil/Air separator

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:34:45 -0600

Without a PCV, piston travel causes a rapid flow of air back and forth in the breather
line.  The multiple pistons cancel this effect somewhat, but not totally.  A PCV
provides just enough resistance to prevent the back and forth flow (instead the
crankcase pressure rapdily fluctuates from positive to negative) while still allowing
air to escape as the air expands as the engine warms up.  The escaping air is fed to
the manifold inlet, but I don't believe the manifold pulls a vacuum on the crankcase.
Of course, none of this applies to aircraft engines which, fortunately, aren't
required to have the PCV emission control device.