REFLECTOR:Re: Aileron Rigging Frustration

Wayne reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 10:44:35 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C41968.A7DAE410

Been there , Done that. I got disgusted and drilled new holes in the =
bellcranks about 1/2 inch in toward the center.=20
My ailerons are fairly stiff at maneuvering speeds but they have full =
travel.
Wayne
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: NMFlyer1@aol.com=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Cc: brendanO@velocityaircraft.com=20
  Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 10:11 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:Re: Aileron Rigging Frustration

  Well, no, I have not got the ailerons rigged correctly yet, and have =
talked with Brendan a couple times. Here's the scoop:

  I have the 173 Elite Model, so others may be different.=20

  I followed the plans in my manual and could not get 2.5" of travel (in =
fact the maximum I could get was 2-7/16 up and 2-5/16 down). =20

  I was told that there should be no differential aileron (more up than =
down).=20

  I ended up getting the "new" instructions off of the Velocity Site, =
and the instructions are Very different. Following them dictated that I =
buy more aluminum and make a new set of Cable Clamp Brackets. After =
following the instructions to the letter, I could still not get proper =
travel, so I called the factory again. The response was that my approach =
angle (cable to wing root bellcranks) has to be off.  Well, 90 degrees =
is pretty easy to measure and believe me... I have measured it at least =
a hundred times over the last few weeks.=20

  Finally, out of frustration (and thinking I just may be loosing it) I =
had my Dad check things out. He's an Engineer at Sandia National Labs, =
and can figure these things out Much faster than I would be able to do. =
He found some interesting things:

   In order to get 2.5" of up and down travel (5" total movement), you =
have to have 3.14" of travel in the aileron cables. Since the cables =
have only 3" of travel, the maximum up/down travel possible is 4.75" (or =
2-3/8 up & 2-3/8 down).   The instructions say that you can get 2.5" =
up/down travel out of a properly rigged system, and that is impossible!=20

  This is based on some other things:=20
      1, the bell crank at the back of the Keel has a 4" lever arm.
      2, the bell cranks at the wing root also have a 4" lever arm.
      3, the ratio between the bell crank turning, and the aileron =
movement is 1:1 (one to one)
          I measured mine, and it is essentially 1:1.
      4. The travel possible is based on zero slop in the system! It is =
the best you will ever get.=20
      5.  Hope that my keel plate is correctly drilled from the factory. =
The approach angle of the aileron cables at the keel is 82-degrees per =
side. This will induce a small amount of differential in the system and =
slightly limit total possible travel.=20

  Conclusion:   Well, after weeks of work trying to obtain the travel =
stated in the instructions, I am now frustrated and enlightened. It is =
not possible! =20
     Today I will go out and try and adjust the system to get the =
maximum possible with what the factory provided me:  That is 2-3/8 =
up/down travel.=20

  Question:  those flying the 173 Elite, is that sufficient?=20

  Possible changes:  In order to achieve more aileron travel, I have =
thought of 3 possibilities:

  1,   Increase the length (lever arm) of the keel bellcrank by about =
3/8" (would get more travel and more leverage)
  2,   Decrease the lever arm of the wing root bell cranks by about 3/8" =
would get more travel at the aileron torque tube, but less leverage and =
therefore stiffer ailerons). This could be done by welding the hole shut =
and drilling a new one as hole edge distances could not be maintained by =
simply drilling a new hole. =20
  3,   Get cables that have more travel than the 3" the factory =
provides.=20

  So, there is the next chapter in frustration. I will let you know the =
next chapter soon. Basically I am no more nuts than I was before, and =
the limitation is in the system.. not the builder.  Whew!!=20

  Kurt Winker
  173 FGE ... flippin flipper fiddelin'

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C41968.A7DAE410

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
#ffffff"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Been there , Done that. I got disgusted and drilled new holes in =
the=20
bellcranks about 1/2 inch in toward the center. </DIV>
<DIV>My ailerons are fairly stiff at maneuvering speeds but they have =
full=20
travel.</DIV>
<DIV>Wayne</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DNMFlyer1@aol.com =
href=3D"mailto:NMFlyer1@aol.com">NMFlyer1@aol.com</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Cc:</B> <A=20
  title=3DbrendanO@velocityaircraft.com=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:brendanO@velocityaircraft.com">brendanO@velocityaircraft.c=
om</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, April 03, 2004 =
10:11=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Re: Aileron =
Rigging=20
  Frustration</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>Well, no, I have not got the ailerons rigged correctly yet, and =
have=20
  talked with Brendan a couple times. Here's the scoop:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I have the 173 Elite Model, so others may be different. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I followed the plans in my manual and could not get 2.5" of =
travel (in=20
  fact the maximum I could get was 2-7/16 up and 2-5/16 down).&nbsp; =
</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I was told that there should be no differential aileron (more up =
than=20
  down). </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I ended up getting the "new" instructions off of the Velocity =
Site, and=20
  the instructions are Very different. Following them dictated that I =
buy more=20
  aluminum and make a new set of Cable Clamp Brackets. After following =
the=20
  instructions to the letter, I could still not get proper travel, so I =
called=20
  the factory again. The response was that my approach angle (cable to =
wing root=20
  bellcranks) has to be off.&nbsp; Well, 90 degrees is pretty easy to =
measure=20
  and believe me... I have measured it at least a hundred times over the =
last=20
  few weeks. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Finally, out of frustration (and thinking I just may be loosing =
it) I had=20
  my Dad check things out. He's an Engineer at Sandia National Labs, and =
can=20
  figure these things out Much faster than I would be able to do. He =
found some=20
  interesting things:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;In order to get 2.5" of up and down travel (5" total =
movement), you=20
  have to have 3.14" of travel in the aileron cables. Since the cables =
have only=20
  3" of travel, the maximum up/down travel&nbsp;possible is 4.75" (or =
2-3/8 up=20
  &amp; 2-3/8 down).&nbsp;&nbsp; The instructions say that you can get =
2.5"=20
  up/down travel out of a properly rigged system, and <STRONG>that is=20
  impossible</STRONG>! </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>This is based on some other things: </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1, the bell crank at the back of the Keel has =
a 4"=20
  lever arm.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2, the bell cranks at the wing root also have =
a 4"=20
  lever arm.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3, the ratio between the bell crank turning, =
and the=20
  aileron movement is 1:1 (one to one)</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I measured mine, and =
it is=20
  essentially 1:1.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4. The travel possible is based on=20
  <STRONG>zero</STRONG> slop in the system! It is the best you will ever =
get.=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 5.&nbsp; Hope that my keel plate is correctly =
drilled=20
  from the factory. The approach angle of the aileron cables at the keel =
is=20
  82-degrees per side. This will induce a small amount of differential =
in the=20
  system and slightly limit total possible travel. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Conclusion:&nbsp;&nbsp; Well, after weeks of work trying to =
obtain the=20
  travel stated in the instructions, I am now frustrated and =
enlightened. It is=20
  not possible!&nbsp; </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; Today I will go out and try and adjust the system to =
get the=20
  maximum possible with what the factory provided me:&nbsp; That is =
2-3/8=20
  up/down travel. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Question:&nbsp; those flying the 173 Elite, is that sufficient? =
</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Possible changes:&nbsp; In order to achieve more aileron travel, =
I have=20
  thought of 3 possibilities:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>1,&nbsp;&nbsp; Increase the length (lever arm) of the keel =
bellcrank by=20
  about 3/8" (would get more travel and more leverage)</DIV>
  <DIV>2,&nbsp;&nbsp; Decrease the lever arm of the wing root bell =
cranks by=20
  about 3/8" would get more travel at the aileron torque tube, but less =
leverage=20
  and therefore stiffer ailerons). This could be done by welding the =
hole shut=20
  and drilling a new one&nbsp;as hole edge distances could not be =
maintained by=20
  simply drilling a new hole. &nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>3,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Get cables that have more travel than the 3" =
the=20
  factory provides. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>So, there is the next chapter in frustration. I will let you know =
the=20
  next chapter soon. Basically I am no more nuts than I was before, and =
the=20
  limitation is in the system.. not the builder.&nbsp; Whew!! </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Kurt Winker</DIV>
  <DIV>173 FGE ... flippin flipper fiddelin'</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C41968.A7DAE410--