REFLECTOR:Gear Up

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 03 Apr 2004 06:50:11 -0700

At 10:45 PM 4/2/2004, you wrote:
>   Scott:  Insurances for Velocity are provided at with a 10% deductible.  At
>that I felt that it was not wise to take hull coverage.

Yes, that's what I decided also.

>new desigh at no charge.  The mains, well they got stuck on me and
>fortunatelly I had someone in the plane and we knocked them loose.  The
>wheel got cought on the inbord lip of the strake.  The camber had changed 2
>degrees, enough to cause a problem.  I removed the lip and will add the
>material to the skirt.

I don't understand how a main could get caught on the wheel well
lip?  Unless something was loose or you changed tires and didn't do a
retract test! How did this happen?

I switched to retreads last tire change and when I did my retract test(I
always do this on a tire change, learned my lesson with my Bonanza), the
tires were just bigger enough to catch the lip. I filled the lip back about
3/16 inch and all is well.  I couldn't have legally done that on my Bo..

I personally think the over all gear design is pretty well thought out.  It
appears that certain  components had to be rethought or re-tooled, I too am
replacing a good portion of my nose gear because of  component upgrades
since my kit was made, at a very low price I might add..  This is my 3rd
plane and every one of them, the prior two were type certified, had the
same story, except the price for upgrades, they were outrageous, and
mandatory! .

I hate to say this but I think part of the problem is we don't have some
type of AD system like type certified planes have.  In our(Velocity's) case
the factory uses an overpriced fluffy(my view) distribution to distribute
news about "suggested" changes and upgrades.  The factory has convinced
themselves that a "nice" looking publication that goes out to a small
portion of  Velocity owners/builders, is more important than a cheap
publication that goes out to all owner/builders.  Their choice.  Also the
publication is in a form that is not easily searchable. So if you need some
bit of information, and you remember seeing it in a VV, you have to go
through every issue by hand until you find it. With todays technology
that's absurd.  I will say having the PC's available on the web are a great
improvement.

Also many owners just ignore the recommendations and shoot themselves in
the foot. I know a few that don't use this forum, the factory web site or
the VV because they don't want to spend the time.  What they want is to be
taken care of like they own a type certified airframe at experimental prices.

I would prefer something in the middle. Maybe a post card list that just
lists the monthly or bi-monthly change notices and upgrades available?  You
can then go to the website for the full information or pay for a mailing to
get the details?  Maybe those with email could get this notice for free?

I don't know, maybe its fine the way it is...

Scott

"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin