REFLECTOR:Headset Heartache

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:39:57 -0400

When I go to the field later this afternoon, and assuming I can make the
noise appear again on cue, we'll certainly explore those ideas.  During the
test flight, I was real hopefully when I pulled the alternator circuit
breaker.  The noise died-off almost in snyc with pulling the breaker, was
quiet for a 5 seconds, then SCP again.  Subsequent cycling showed there was
no (dis)connection with the alternator.

However, is it correct to assume that if the alternator breaker is been
pulled, that that effectively isolates the alternator from the electrical
system and it would be unable to induce noise to the electrical/audio
system?

Finally, I've tried to relate hot/cold/humidity/stock market to changes in
the noise but I find no correlation or commonality.

With that said, I now go forth to slay the electronic dragons.

Chuck Jensen

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Brian Michalk
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 11:38 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Headset Heartache

> So, this morning, I got the av shop to commit a tech and I agreed
> to go down
> to the aerodome so I could run the engine for him to aid in the
> troubleshooting, since it is quiet running on batteries.  I fired it

Ahh.  There is a clue.
It is quiet running on batteries, engine not running.
It is noisy running on batteries, engine running.  -- alternator field off
It is noisy running on alternator, engine running. -- alternator field on

Perhaps it is the alternator, or something associated with a running engine.

Check/clean the ground strap to the alternator.
Check/clean the ground strap to the engine.
Check/clean the battery ground path (bus).
--those are easy.
Remove all electrical cables from the alternator, then run the engine.  See
if the problem still creeps up.

Unfortunately this seems intermittent, which makes things difficult to
diagnose.
Does it get better/worse with humidity, engine temperature or altitude?