REFLECTOR:Headset Heartache

Brian Michalk reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:15:50 -0500

My mantra at work trying to get the techies to troubleshoot problems.

1) Always collect more data than you need.
2) Reduce as many possible factors before doing anything to hardware.
3) When you make a change, if it makes sense, only change one thing at a
time.

Many times I've seen pilots treat a symptom rather than solving the problem.
Try to avoid this.

Remember the recent post here regarding noisy alternator brushes?

Does this happen on the ground running on battery?
Does it happen with the alternator field turned off?
Does it happen with other equipment turned off?
Does it happen if route around the audio panel?  Dunno if this is possible.

Perhaps you have a bad ground on the instrument panel feeding from another
instrument, getting a ground through your audio panel.

Try more testing.

 Brian Michalk  <http://www.michalk.com>
musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and mostly single