REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND COOLING

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:17:24 -0400

In a message dated 9/16/2003 11:04:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, scott@tnstaafl.net writes:

> Both planes I have flown with a ram scoop, Mooney and
> Velocity, showed about 3/4" of MP increase at apx 150 knots.

Yes, I thought Jim had made a very good point a few e-mails back that where I was originally drawing intake air from before I built the scoop must have been in negative pressure air.

Since everyone seems to agree that 3/4 of an inch is about right for a ram air scoop that must mean I was loosing about  1.25 inches by drawing from where I was, under the engine with no scoop.

So lesson learned: Think about where you put that engine intake! It can cost you significant power.

DM Rob