REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND COOLING

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:48:15 -0400

--============_-1148398798==_ma============

Keith,
I don't remember but I think the mounting flange which is a machined
part connected to the servo. I believe my servo is a stock lycoming
which is probably made by bendix?? The alternate air duct connects to
the mounting flange by a large clamp. the alternate air duct assembly
has a butterfly which selects air from either the straight pipe or
the 45 degree pipe. I have the filter on the 45 degree pipe and the
straight pipe is connected to the scoop via a scat tube. My tube make
a bend straight down into the back of the air scoop. I believe the
assembly,flange and filter with all the clamps was $200-$250. I think
the K&N filters run about $50 at the auto parts store. Like I said
this is a little pricey but I would call to verify. The folks at
airflow performance were very helpful and it was worth the price of a
phone call. They knew what they were talking about. I also use one of
their fuel filters which is a serviceable unit which you can clean
during annual. I may have gone overboard, you could certainly
construct something similar but I thought with some of the accidents
that have been attributed to failed filters and ingestion of parts in
all types of aircraft this was a flight critical part I wanted to
make sure was going to stay serviceable. I will get some photo's and
post.
Jack
N55XL
--============_-1148398798==_ma============

 --></style><title>Re: REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND
machined part connected to the servo. I believe my servo is a stock
lycoming which is probably made by bendix?? The alternate air duct
connects to the mounting flange by a large clamp. the alternate air
duct assembly has a butterfly which selects air from either the
straight pipe or the 45 degree pipe. I have the filter on the 45
degree pipe and the straight pipe is connected to the scoop via a scat
tube. My tube make a bend straight down into the back of the air
scoop. I believe the assembly,flange and filter with all the clamps
was $200-$250. I think the K&amp;N filters run about $50 at the auto
parts store. Like I said this is a little pricey but I would call to
verify. The folks at airflow performance were very helpful and it was
worth the price of a phone call. They knew what they were talking
about. I also use one of their fuel filters which is a serviceable
unit which you can clean during annual. I may have gone overboard, you
could certainly construct something similar but I thought with some of
the accidents that have been attributed to failed filters and
ingestion of parts in all types of aircraft this was a flight critical
part I wanted to make sure was going to stay serviceable. I will get
some photo's and post.</div>