REFLECTOR:Cooling a canard

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:12:22 -0400

John, your right about that.  My engine operates at a temp way lower than
190F and I get thirsty several times a day.

There is one other dynamic at play here, related to moisture evaporation,
that I'm unsure of the impact (if any).  Clearly, water has a higher vapor
pressure than oil, so it'll evaporate off more readily.  However, in the
engine, any condensation that collects in the crankcase is going to be
covered by a thick blanket of oil which may reduce/prevent evaporation.
Nonetheless, by long experience in aircraft ops, it seems that any engine
oil temps in the +190F range is effective at driving off unwanted moisture
and that temps of +212F is not required.

The only other advantage of running higher oil temps is it implies a hotter
engine.  Some basic physics taught us a hotter engine is more efficient (up
to the point that you start melting components).  In addition, the high temp
implies less cooling and less associated drag.  By my calculations, if you
run the oil at 212F instead of 190F, considering the improved engine
efficiency and reduced cooling drag, your overall operations will be 0.0197%
more efficient.  Of course, the speed gain of 0.101 mph from the increased
energy conversion efficiency will require you to recalculate the timing of
your descent so you don't overshoot the airport.  Caution: Your calculations
may vary.

Chuck Jensen
Diversified Technologies
2680 Westcott Blvd