REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND COOLING

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:48:36 -0400

--============_-1148477977==_ma============

Tony,
I had the same concerns about using the cooling air from the NACA as
well as a concern about operating on the ground with unfiltered air.
I placed an intake air scoop under the aircraft. it is attached to
the lower cowling. If I was doing it again I would design it so that
it was part of the fuselage and remain in place when cowling is
removed.
I used an alternate air assembly from airflow performance
http://www.airflowperformance.com/airframe.htm
This unit comes with a K&N air filter attached to the alternate flow
assembly. I have a push -pull cable which operates the butterfly in
the assembly. The selection is for either filtered air which is thru
the filter inside the cowling under the engine or Ram air which comes
from the air scoop. The filter is a cone type like those used on
off-road or other injected engines. so it does not have a box or
anything it simply attaches to the assembly. The difference between
filtered air and Ram Air in flight is about         1" MP  at about
10,000 feet.  This solution solved both my concerns and additionally
provides heated air from the engine compartment in the event you find
yourself in some frozen precip and you choose not to use the Ram Air
to prevent ice entering the servo. Other folks have manufactured
similar types of scoops and filter arrangements but I liked the idea
of having a nice machined part attached to the engine with no worries
about filters being blocked or other parts being ingested into the
engine. The assembly costs a few bucks but I thought it was a good
solution
Jack
N55XL
--============_-1148477977==_ma============

 --></style><title>Re: REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND
the cooling air from the NACA as well as a concern about operating on
the ground with unfiltered air.</font></div>
the aircraft. it is attached to the lower cowling. If I was doing it
again I would design it so that it was part of the fuselage and remain
in place when cowling is removed.</font></div>
from airflow performance
http://www.airflowperformance.com/airframe.htm</font></div>
filter attached to the alternate flow assembly. I have a push -pull
cable which operates the butterfly in the assembly. The selection is
for either filtered air which is thru the filter inside the cowling
under the engine or Ram air which comes from the air scoop. The filter
is a cone type like those used on off-road or other injected engines.
so it does not have a box or anything it simply attaches to the
assembly. The difference between filtered air and Ram Air in flight is
about&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1&quot; MP&nbsp;
at about 10,000 feet.&nbsp; This solution solved both my concerns and
additionally provides heated air from the engine compartment in the
event you find yourself in some frozen precip and you choose not to
use the Ram Air to prevent ice entering the servo. Other folks have
manufactured similar types of scoops and filter arrangements but I
liked the idea of having a nice machined part attached to the engine
with no worries about filters being blocked or other parts being
ingested into the engine. The assembly costs a few bucks but I thought
it was a good solution</font></div>