REFLECTOR:Alternator Update

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:30:05 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C37AAB.29BF3920

I found and fixed my alternator problem.  A broken wire between the =
field slip ring and the field winding.  I added a U shaped piece of wire =
to reach beyond the broken end of the field wire and soldered it back =
together.  It worked fine for one hour yesterday.

Here's what I found out while researching this problem:

My alternator is made by Hitachi and used on 81-87 Mazda (probably not =
RX-7's) per NAPA parts manual and does not have an internal voltage =
regulator. I have a VR-600 solid state regulator mounted on the =
firewall. Don George says he obtained these from AirTec at =
1-800-366-4746.  They supply non- certified alternators  for the =
homebuilt crowd.

Also, someone says the Velocity factory sells an internally regulated =
alternator for $200

I also got an email from <Mahlon_Russell@teledyne.com>

| Hi Ronnie,
| I think the actual P/N of the alternator you may have is a  Mitsubishi
| 186-0355 or 14700. It may help in your quest for brushes! If you need =
| replacement we sell the  complete set up: belt, alt. mounts brackets =
and
| hardware for $245.00. I agree expensive by automotive standards!
| Good Luck,
| Mahlon

Mahlon also sent the following:

| Hi Ronnie,
| It depends on where your engine came from or what application you are
| trying to mimic.
| Pipers used Mopar and Prestolite on O-320's
| Cessna used Ford on O-320's
| Beech used Ford and Prestolite  on O-320's
| Can't remember what Bellanca and some of the others used but basically =
they
| all used some version of Ford, Prestolite or Mopar. To further =
complicate
| things the mounting brackets and ring gear support assemblies were
| different for each of the installations. IE belt that fit a ford  alt.
| pulley doesn't fit a MOPAR flywheel and same thing for the mounting
| brackets. You really need to know what brackets and what flywheel you =
have
| to make the correct determination of what's the right Alternator. If =
you
| let me know what you have I will try to check it out for you On Monday =
when
| I am back in the shop. If you are totally confused feel free to call =
me at
| 1-800-624-6680 ext 305 and maybe I can better explain verbally.
| Anyway I hope this helps,
| Mahlon Russell

Time: 12:37:48 PM PST US
From: "Jim and Bev Cone" <jimnbev@olypen.com>
Subject: RV-List: Alternator

--> RV-List message posted by: "Jim and Bev Cone" <jimnbev@olypen.com>

The Pelican alternator sold by ACS is off of a Chevy Sprint
Spectrum.  It is a small 65 amp alternator that is self regulating and =
has automatic
overheat protection that resets when an overheated condition is =
resolved.
I have one and it works well.

Jim Cone

Another post from kr shultz" <sfg0152002@yahoo.com
Think it is a Suzuki Samurai 1995 to 2001

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C37AAB.29BF3920

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV>I found and fixed my alternator problem.&nbsp; A broken wire =
between the=20
field slip ring and the field winding.&nbsp; I added a U shaped piece of =
wire to=20
reach beyond the broken end of the field wire and soldered it back=20
together.&nbsp; It worked fine for one hour yesterday.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Here's what I found out while researching this problem:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My alternator is made by Hitachi and used on 81-87 Mazda (probably =
not=20
RX-7's) per NAPA parts manual and does not have an internal voltage =
regulator. I=20
have a VR-600 solid state regulator mounted on the firewall. Don George =
says he=20
obtained these from AirTec at 1-800-366-4746.&nbsp; They supply non- =
certified=20
alternators&nbsp; for the homebuilt crowd.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Also, someone says the Velocity factory sells an internally =
regulated=20
alternator for $200</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I also got an email from&nbsp;&lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:Mahlon_Russell@teledyne.com">Mahlon_Russell@teledyne.com</=
A>&gt;<BR></DIV>
<DIV>| Hi Ronnie,<BR>| I think the actual P/N of the alternator you may =
have is=20
a&nbsp; Mitsubishi<BR>| 186-0355 or 14700. It may help in your quest for =

brushes! If you need a<BR>| replacement we sell the&nbsp; complete set =
up: belt,=20
alt. mounts brackets and<BR>| hardware for $245.00. I agree expensive by =

automotive standards!<BR>| Good Luck,<BR>| Mahlon<BR>|<BR></DIV>
<DIV>Mahlon also sent the following:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR>| Hi Ronnie,<BR>| It depends on where your engine came from or =
what=20
application you are<BR>| trying to mimic.<BR>| Pipers used Mopar and =
Prestolite=20
on O-320's<BR>| Cessna used Ford on O-320's<BR>| Beech used Ford and=20
Prestolite&nbsp; on O-320's<BR>| Can't remember what Bellanca and some =
of the=20
others used but basically they<BR>| all used some version of Ford, =
Prestolite or=20
Mopar. To further complicate<BR>| things the mounting brackets and ring =
gear=20
support assemblies were<BR>| different for each of the installations. IE =
belt=20
that fit a ford&nbsp; alt.<BR>| pulley doesn't fit a MOPAR flywheel and =
same=20
thing for the mounting<BR>| brackets. You really need to know what =
brackets and=20
what flywheel you have<BR>| to make the correct determination of what's =
the=20
right Alternator. If you<BR>| let me know what you have I will try to =
check it=20
out for you On Monday when<BR>| I am back in the shop. If you are =
totally=20
confused feel free to call me at<BR>| 1-800-624-6680 ext 305 and maybe I =
can=20
better explain verbally.<BR>| Anyway I hope this helps,<BR>| Mahlon=20
Russell<BR>|<BR><BR>Time: 12:37:48 PM PST US<BR>From: "Jim and Bev Cone" =
&lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:jimnbev@olypen.com"><FONT =
size=3D3>jimnbev@olypen.com</FONT></A><FONT=20
size=3D3>&gt;<BR>Subject: RV-List: Alternator<BR><BR>--&gt; RV-List =
message posted=20
by: "Jim and Bev Cone" &lt;</FONT><A =
href=3D"mailto:jimnbev@olypen.com"><FONT=20
size=3D3>jimnbev@olypen.com</FONT></A><FONT size=3D3>&gt;<BR><BR>The =
Pelican=20
alternator sold by ACS is off of a Chevy Sprint<BR>Spectrum.&nbsp; It is =
a small=20
65 amp alternator that is self regulating and has automatic<BR>overheat=20
protection that resets when an overheated condition is resolved.<BR>I =
have one=20
and it works well.<BR><BR>Jim Cone<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Another post from kr shultz" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:sfg0152002@yahoo.com">sfg0152002@yahoo.com</A></FONT></DIV=

<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Think it is a Suzuki Samurai 1995 to =
2001</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C37AAB.29BF3920--