REFLECTOR:INTAKE COMBUSTION AIR

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:08:12 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C37AD2.04814280

Bob,

I also have a 540 and went through some of same issues of imbalanced cooling
that you're facing.  I looked at air cooling flow--good.  I looked at
baffling--good, I looked at air in-leakage in the induction system--good, I
looked at fuel servo problems--good.  I looked for a partially blocked fuel
injector(s)--good.  I looked at injector delivery of a consistant fuel/air
balance--bad.

When I ran the GAMI lean test, sure enough, the #2 and #3 cylindars, my hot
ones, leaned out early (2+ gph--bad) faster than the rich cylinders.  In
such a circumstance, there are two possilbe outcomes, 1) when you run ROP,
the majority of the cylinders are ROP but the hot ones are hot because they
are lean of peak (LOP), or 2) you attempt to run LOP for the majority of the
cylinders but the two hot (lean) cylinders are then starved for fuel and run
very rough with significant power loss.

It's hard to say if this truly is your problem but when I installed the
GAMInjectors, which are sized based on the initial lean testing, the "hot"
cylinders went away.  There is a certain amount of guessing on the part of
GAMI in selectiong injectors based on the lean test results.  They seem to
have 4 or 5 different capacity injectors.  I can't say whether they enrich
the lean cylinders or lean the rich cylinders, but it doesn't really matter;
the target is to get an injector that will compensate for the disparity of
fuel/air mixture between cylinders.  The desired end point is to get all of
the cylinders to lean out over a range of <0.5 gph.

After installation of the initial set of injectors, subsequent lean tests
are then run to determine which are the hot/cold cylinders.  GAMI, at no
addition charge, will then supply new, better-educated-guess injectors to
swap out with the still-aberrant injectors.  I suspect this process takes
about two evolutions, potentially three, to get the injector selection down
to where the cylinders all lean out at the same time.  A small caveat;
GAMInjector's injector guess is only as good as the quality of your lean
test.

My testimonial is 1) it has reduced my lean spread from +2 gph to <1 gph
across the cylinders, 2) I'm able to cruise at almost 1 gph less for the
same power setting and "roughness, 3) my hot cylinders have pretty much
disappeared, 4) I'm not quite there yet, so I have one more swap-out to do
for the "perfect" set of balanced injectors.

It's something to think about.  If you want to check it out, free of cost
(and not many things in aviation are free) download the simple lean test
procedure and data form from their web site http://www.gami.com/
<http://www.gami.com/> .  P.S., Make sure you tell 'em I sent you so I get
my 25% cut (NOT)!

Chuck Jensen