REFLECTOR:INTAKE COMBUSTION AIR

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:10:38 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C37AA0.102322C0

We asked Duane about the open baffling on the cooling shrouds on the =
factory XL Continental (shrouds don't wrap under the bottoms of the =
cylinders).  He said the angle valve Lycoming and Continentals with =
their larger cooling fins don't need the tight shrouds. =20

However, I did wrap the cylinders all the way to the bottom of my IO 360 =
C1C - 200HP and only have about a 1.5 to 2" opening at the bottom of my =
cylinders.  My engine runs cool with the NACA down draft cooling - 350 - =
360 degrees while leaned out to 100 degrees rich of peak.  I have never =
seen 400 degrees on my heads, even on 90 degree days and during a long =
climb out.  Even taxiing at Oshkosh only produced 300-320 degrees. =20

And, I am only running one oil cooler.  My A&P/IA friend says one cooler =
and those long oil lines should be plenty of oil cooling IF the engine =
is cooled adequately.  After 85 hours of mostly summer flying, I agree.

I worried a lot about a hot running rear mounted engine while I was =
building and watched the reflector and VV's for any information for =
improving cooling.  Now I am happy to say, this has been a non issue for =
my Velocity.  I LOVE IT!!!

Ronnie

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: SlvEgl99@aol.com=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 8:18 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:INTAKE COMBUSTION AIR

  I have an XL FG with Lycoming IO540, two oil coolers.

  I have always had a bit of a cooling issue. Not so much that temps are =
high, but that they are uneven between cylinders. The center two (3&4) =
are significantly cooler than the end four. Thisa is sometimes 70 =
degrees or more.

  After a lot of time trying to get diverters in the ducting to move a =
greater amount of air to the ends of the plenum, I took a hard look at =
how Lycoming has the air flow controlled between the cylinders and noted =
that they have baffles between the cylinders that force the cooling air =
to stay within the cylinder fins nearly to the bottom of the cylinder. =
On the other hand, the XL plenum stops half way down the front and rear =
cylinders, allowing the air to "escape" from the cylinder fins at this =
point.

  I also took a look at a a long EZ and how that engine is baffled. I =
saw that the baffling has the air confined to the cylinders with just a =
small (2.5") opening for the air to exit the fins.

  By coincidence just this week I decided to extend the ends of the =
plenum to near the bottom of the cylinders, cutting them off at the =
approximate length of the Lycoming  baffles.

  How does it work? I don't know yet as I have just completed the job =
and have not had a chance to fly it yet.

  The other heat issue I have is that the front oil cooler puts too much =
heat into the nose., and then into the cockpit. I have a piece of foam =
above the canard inside the hatch cover to block the heat from the nose =
and insulated it as well as I can by adding insulation around the body =
of the cooler and insulating the oil lines. I point out that I have a =
FG, thus no nose gear door to allow air into the nose. I have toyed with =
the idea of adding a small vent to bring in cool air to this area.

  Any thoughts or ideas or concerns?

  Bob Wood
  N658SE
  XL FG Bob II=20

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C37AA0.102322C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We asked Duane about the open baffling on the =
cooling shrouds=20
on the factory XL&nbsp;Continental (shrouds don't wrap under the bottoms =
of the=20
cylinders).&nbsp; He said the angle valve Lycoming and Continentals with =
their=20
larger cooling fins don't need the tight shrouds.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>However, I did wrap the cylinders all the way to the =
bottom of=20
my IO 360 C1C - 200HP and only have about a 1.5 to 2" opening at the =
bottom of=20
my cylinders.&nbsp; My engine runs cool with the NACA down draft cooling =
- 350 -=20
360&nbsp;degrees while leaned out to 100 degrees rich of peak.&nbsp; I =
have=20
never seen 400 degrees on my heads, even on 90 degree days and during a =
long=20
climb out.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even taxiing at Oshkosh only produced 300-320=20
degrees.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>And, I am only running one oil cooler.&nbsp; My =
A&amp;P/IA=20
friend says one cooler and&nbsp;those long oil lines should be plenty of =
oil=20
cooling&nbsp;IF the engine is cooled adequately.&nbsp; After 85 hours of =
mostly=20
summer flying, I agree.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I worried a lot about a hot running rear mounted =
engine while=20
I was building and watched the reflector and VV's for any information =
for=20
improving cooling.&nbsp; Now I am happy to say, this has been a non =
issue for my=20
Velocity.&nbsp; I LOVE IT!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DSlvEgl99@aol.com =
href=3D"mailto:SlvEgl99@aol.com">SlvEgl99@aol.com</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, September 14, =
2003 8:18=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:INTAKE =
COMBUSTION=20
  AIR</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 =
face=3DArial size=3D2=20
  FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">I have an XL FG with Lycoming IO540, two oil=20
  coolers.<BR><BR>I have always had a bit of a cooling issue. Not so =
much that=20
  temps are high, but that they are uneven between cylinders. The center =
two=20
  (3&amp;4) are significantly cooler than the end four. Thisa is =
sometimes 70=20
  degrees or more.<BR><BR>After a lot of time trying to get diverters in =
the=20
  ducting to move a greater amount of air to the ends of the plenum, I =
took a=20
  hard look at how Lycoming has the air flow controlled between the =
cylinders=20
  and noted that they have baffles between the cylinders that force the =
cooling=20
  air to stay within the cylinder fins nearly to the bottom of the =
cylinder. On=20
  the other hand, the XL plenum stops half way down the front and rear=20
  cylinders, allowing the air to "escape" from the cylinder fins at this =

  point.<BR><BR>I also took a look at a a long EZ and how that engine is =

  baffled. I saw that the baffling has the air confined to the cylinders =
with=20
  just a small (2.5") opening for the air to exit the fins.<BR><BR>By=20
  coincidence just this week I decided to extend the ends of the plenum =
to near=20
  the bottom of the cylinders, cutting them off at the approximate =
length of the=20
  Lycoming&nbsp; baffles.<BR><BR>How does it work? I don't know yet as I =
have=20
  just completed the job and have not had a chance to fly it =
yet.<BR><BR>The=20
  other heat issue I have is that the front oil cooler puts too much =
heat into=20
  the nose., and then into the cockpit. I have a piece of foam above the =
canard=20
  inside the hatch cover to block the heat from the nose and insulated =
it as=20
  well as I can by adding insulation around the body of the cooler and=20
  insulating the oil lines. I point out that I have a FG, thus no nose =
gear door=20
  to allow air into the nose. I have toyed with the idea of adding a =
small vent=20
  to bring in cool air to this area.<BR><BR>Any thoughts or ideas or=20
  concerns?<BR><BR>Bob Wood<BR>N658SE<BR>XL FG Bob II</FONT>=20
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C37AA0.102322C0--