REFLECTOR:IO-540 Engine Mount Type

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:19:53 -0400

I would guess that while building my aircraft at the service center
over a period of 3 years there were at least a half dozen IO-540 260
hp engines that were installed by various builders and I never knew
of anyone that had an engine mount problem with the factory mount. It
is a tight fit because of the angle of the bracket but the mount is
flexible enough that you can pull it into place.
Take two strong backs. I hope you are not trying to mount the engine
mount to the aircraft first. The real difficulty in doing the engine
mount is to make sure the engine is centered in the cowl opening so
you have a match between the cowl and the propeller hub. One would
think that if you centered the engine on the firewall the rear would
match the cowl opening. It might if you are lucky. The engine really
does not care where it is on the firewall so center in the opening.
After doing it I think the best method is to have a plumb bob
centered vertically and mark the point for a horizontal center a
laser survey sight would also work if you have access to one. Or like
in my case try and center it and then go back and spend a week
working on modifying the cowl to fit. You will also find that the
plennum may have to be cut down because when you get the engine
centered in the opening  the plenum hits the top cowl
Jack
N55XL