REFLECTOR:IO-540 Engine Mount Type

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:45:24 EDT

--part1_4a.21c0edf3.2c8ba164_boundary

The approach we used in mounting the engine at the factory was to first
fabricate the cowl complete. Second, place the engine on the mount, Third, hoist
the engine into position and install the lower cowl. Move the engine as needed
to align the center of the crankshaft with the center of the cowl opening,
making sure that the "feet" of the engine mount are reasonably centered on the
large triax pads on the firewall.. Place spacers under the engine mounting
brackets on the firewall if needed to correctly align the the rear of the engine.

Once the exact locations of the engine mount feet are known, drill the holes.
As I recall this was also done with the engine in position, held by the
hoist.

After you have a few hours on the plane, the engine may slump a bit, and it
can be realigned with spacers on the firewall.

The spacers can be made of large washers by cutting out one side so the
spacer can be slipped under the mounting foot without taking out the bolts.

After the engine was mounted we made a sketch of the firewall and placed all
of the other things on the firewall in accordance with the sketch. Few if any
of these locations are critical. Fitting hoses and wiring with the engine
mounted was not complicated, and it was not hard to figure out how much slack was
needed to avoid tension on hoses and wires.

Worked for me.  Is this more than you ever wanted to know?

BTW, I think the IO540 engine mount uses the "Small ears" mounting brackets
on the engine. I think that is the answer to the question, "Large or small
holes"

Bob Wood
XL FG

--part1_4a.21c0edf3.2c8ba164_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">The approach we used in mounting the engine at the fac=
tory was to first fabricate the cowl complete. Second, place the engine on t=
he mount, Third, hoist the engine into position and install the lower cowl.=20=
Move the engine as needed to align the center of the crankshaft with the cen=
ter of the cowl opening, making sure that the "feet" of the engine mount are=
 reasonably centered on the large triax pads on the firewall.. Place spacers=
 under the engine mounting brackets on the firewall if needed to correctly a=
lign the the rear of the engine. <BR>
<BR>
Once the exact locations of the engine mount feet are known, drill the holes=
. As I recall this was also done with the engine in position, held by the ho=
ist.<BR>
<BR>
After you have a few hours on the plane, the engine may slump a bit, and it=20=
can be realigned with spacers on the firewall.<BR>
<BR>
The spacers can be made of large washers by cutting out one side so the spac=
er can be slipped under the mounting foot without taking out the bolts.<BR>
<BR>
After the engine was mounted we made a sketch of the firewall and placed all=
 of the other things on the firewall in accordance with the sketch. Few if a=
ny of these locations are critical. Fitting hoses and wiring with the engine=
 mounted was not complicated, and it was not hard to figure out how much sla=
ck was needed to avoid tension on hoses and wires.<BR>
<BR>
Worked for me.&nbsp; Is this more than you ever wanted to know?<BR>
<BR>
BTW, I think the IO540 engine mount uses the "Small ears" mounting brackets=20=
on the engine. I think that is the answer to the question, "Large or small h=
oles"<BR>
<BR>
Bob Wood<BR>
XL FG</FONT></HTML>