REFLECTOR:Fire Detection System,smoke and flame

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:40:28 EDT

A smoke and/or flame detection system that was simple and inexpensive may
have a market in the homebuilt market.
Comments: 1) Smoke alone in the engine compartment of our aircraft is
probably a lot less of a hazard than in a tractor airplane. Actually we have a simple
smoke detection system because the higher pressure in the engine compartment
will push that air into the cabin by way of firewall holes, fuselage tunnels
or between main spar and wing spare (IF NOT PROPERLY SEALED)  From experience,
you will smell smoke very quickly in that case.
2) Would flame detection require many detectors because there would be many
different places a flame could erupt?
3) We could measure temperatures at a proposed thermal fuse site, for all
normal operating conditions, temps just after shut down may be hottest. If we
installed a thermal fuse well above highest temperature measured at that site,
would that not minimize false warnings?
Don White   N19DW     XL/RG