REFLECTOR:MT 540 Prop

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:34:05 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C39FE5.F6BE62A0

TEC

Since possession is 90% of ownership, and they possess my money, "too late"
is probably accurate.  I very much liked your comment about the
thin-skin-penetrating barb about poor engineering.  Criticizing Germans on
engineering is in the same ball park as accusings Italians of clutzy design
and the French of being a 2nd rate nation (and other items too numerous to
mention).  It's always fun to prick the pompas.

Chuck Jensen

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
HYTEC45@aol.com
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 10:40 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:MT 540 Prop

In a message dated 10/31/03 6:14:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cjensen@dts9000.com writes:

However, their insistence
of overhauling the hub ($1,400) to install a new seal design was less
palatable.

I have the mentioned electric mt on a STD-RG that has been a headache mostly
due to the electric option.  Definitely hydraulic is the way to go.  I was
also caught up in the harmonic cracking of a blade and was responsible for
bringing out of the closet the rpm restriction on non-counterweighted 360s
(sorry).  While my prop was in for the 3 month blade repair (warranty, after
much reluctance by mt) it was also noted that I had the "old" seal
configuration.  The seals have nothing to do with it.  The problem was, the
hub being aluminum, the bores where the blade "O" rings rest are also
aluminum.  The vibration of the blade will cause this "O" ring to slightly
move across the sealing area, causing wear of the aluminum and particles
becoming impregnated in the "O" ring, compounding the problem.  This will
cause scoring of the sealing area and eventually a leak.  MT first tried
changing elastomers to fix the wear problem but this did not solve the
problem.  The correct fix is nothing special, counter bore the sealing area
(first 3/8" of each bore), and press in a stainless steel ring for the seal
to rest on.  MT was overwhelmed with leaking seals so much that mt will not
provide seals to any repair station unless the hub has been modified.

Now, if you mention the lack if proper engineering regarding seal design
(really pisses off the Germans) and that you understand this is a recognized
problem as mt now installs SS inserts in all new hubs, they should pay for
it as they did mine.

Sorry if this is to late for you Chuck.

TEC

------_=_NextPart_001_01C39FE5.F6BE62A0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN
class=296151116-31102003>TEC</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN
class=296151116-31102003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=296151116-31102003>Since
possession is 90% of ownership, and they possess my money, "too late" is
probably accurate.&nbsp; I&nbsp;very much liked your comment about the
thin-skin-penetrating barb about poor engineering.&nbsp; Criticizing Germans on
engineering is in the same ball park as&nbsp;accusings Italians of&nbsp;clutzy
design and the French of being a&nbsp;2nd rate nation (and other items too
numerous to mention).&nbsp; It's always fun to prick the
pompas.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2>Ch</FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2>uck</FONT><FONT
face=Arial size=2> Jensen</FONT>&nbsp; </P>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of
  </B>HYTEC45@aol.com<BR><B>Sent:</B> Friday, October 31, 2003 10:40
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:MT 540
  Prop<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 face=Arial
  size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF">In a message dated 10/31/03 6:14:34 AM Pacific
  Standard Time, cjensen@dts9000.com writes:<BR><BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE
  style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
  TYPE="CITE">However, their insistence<BR>of overhauling the hub ($1,400) to
    install a new seal design was less<BR>palatable.&nbsp; </BLOCKQUOTE>I have the
  mentioned electric mt on a STD-RG that has been a headache mostly due to the
  electric option.&nbsp; Definitely hydraulic is the way to go.&nbsp; I was also
  caught up in the harmonic cracking of a blade and was responsible for bringing
  out of the closet the rpm restriction on non-counterweighted 360s
  (sorry).&nbsp; While my prop was in for the 3 month blade repair (warranty,
  after much reluctance by mt) it was also noted that I had the "old" seal
  configuration.&nbsp; The seals have nothing to do with it.&nbsp; The problem
  was, the hub being aluminum, the bores where the blade "O" rings rest are also
  aluminum.&nbsp; The vibration of the blade will cause this "O" ring to
  slightly move across the sealing area, causing wear of the aluminum and
  particles becoming impregnated in the "O" ring, compounding the problem.&nbsp;
  This will cause scoring of the sealing area and eventually a leak.&nbsp; MT
  first tried changing elastomers to fix the wear problem but this did not solve
  the problem.&nbsp; The correct fix is nothing special, counter bore the
  sealing area (first 3/8" of each bore), and press in a stainless steel ring
  for the seal to rest on.&nbsp; MT was overwhelmed with leaking seals so much
  that mt will not provide seals to any repair station unless the hub has been
  modified.<BR><BR>Now, if you mention the lack if proper engineering regarding
  seal design (really pisses off the Germans) and that you understand this is a
  recognized problem as mt now installs SS inserts in all new hubs, they should
  pay for it as they did mine.<BR><BR>Sorry if this is to late for you
  Chuck.<BR><BR>TEC </FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C39FE5.F6BE62A0--