REFLECTOR:RE: Top door strake dents

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:14:29 -0800

The strakes on Berkut were carbon bid over 5 lb PVC or SAN foam, we never
had a problem with them denting.  Micro would work, but it's LOTS heavier
than the foam you have now .  Stripping out the inside skin, getting rid of
the foam, replacing it with micro, reskinning the inside and keeping it
from changing shape while you're doing all of this would be a BIG job.

Easier just to add some carbon bid to the outside of the upper skin.  The
higher the load, the more plies.  If you're going to be walking on it in
spike heels, 6 plies should be enough.  Taper them an inch per ply and it
will be easy to blend in when surfacing.

Be sure to remove any kevlar in the selvage, or it will come back to haunt
you in the finishing.